Colanders

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Colanders

Post by badabing888 »

Hi Guys,

Quick one, i've been a fairs few tree's in Colanders now and i've noticed the root ball it becoming very compact.
How often do people root prune then place back into the colander? Is this even done? as any over grown roots hit the edge and self prune so to speak.

Any advice would be great!

Regards

Daniel
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Colanders

Post by KIRKY »

You should do root maintenance at least every second year. Growing in a colander or a plastic pot makes no difference to maintenance. As for repotting back into colander that will depend on if you have achieved the root/trunk develepment you want.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

badabing888 wrote:Hi Guys,

Quick one, i've been a fairs few tree's in Colanders now and i've noticed the root ball it becoming very compact.
How often do people root prune then place back into the colander? Is this even done? as any over grown roots hit the edge and self prune so to speak.

Regards

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
There are a few things to take into consideration:
  • Growing on top of the ground, hard surface, bench: If the tree is growing on the ground, hard surface or bench the roots will grow out through the holes of the colander and self prune on the vertical surface of the colander. You may find, if the tree is on the ground or hard surface there will be roots form under the colander that will continue to grow.

Growing in the ground: Colanders are a great way to grow in the ground. The colander is placed in the ground up to the lip of the colander. The colander can be lifted a few times per year and the outside roots removed and placed back into the ground. This is a good way to increase the trunk size.

Repotting: If the root ball is getting to compact you can remove the tree, root prune and repot. NOTE: Do this at the time of year, appropriate for the species of tree.
Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on August 5th, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

Ray M wrote:
badabing888 wrote:Hi Guys,

Regards

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
There are a few things to take into consideration:
  • Growing on top of the ground, hard surface, bench: If the tree is growing on the ground, hard surface or bench the roots will grow out through the holes of the colander and self prune on the vertical surface of the colander. You may find, if the tree is on the ground or hard surface there will be roots form under the colander that will continue to grow.

Growing in the ground: Colanders are a great way to grow in the ground. The colander is placed in the ground up to the lip of the colander. The colander can be lifted a few times per year and the outside roots removed and placed back into the ground. This is a good way to increase the trunk size.

Repotting: If the root ball is getting to compact you can remove the tree, root prune and repot. NOTE: Do this at the time of year, appropriate for the species of tree.
Regards Ray
Hi Ray in trunk growing phase, planting the colander in the ground, should I root prune every year or every 2 would be fine? Or there is no rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

pureheart wrote:
Hi Ray in trunk growing phase, planting the colander in the ground, should I root prune every year or every 2 would be fine? Or there is no rule?
Hi pureheart,
There's no rule to this. Different species will grow at very different rates. If you find that the root ball inside the colander has compacted to much you could give the roots a prune. When doing this to the root ball make sure you do it in the right season for the species of tree. You would treat this the same as if you were doing a repot.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on August 5th, 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Club: -

Post by badabing888 »

Hi,

Thanks for that i assumed as such but having confirmation was good.
These are sitting on a bench no roots are growing out the bottom but the elms certainly need a repot, JBP are okay for another year as they don't grow like weeds!!! :D :D :D
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by BB Brian »

Ray M wrote:

Regards Ray
Hi Ray,

if i have Zelkova planted in Colander but placed in foam box, how often should i pull out of the box to root prune?
its still first year and probably does not have any roots protruding out of colander just yet - planted first week of August.

Regards
B
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

banong wrote:
Hi Ray,
if i have Zelkova planted in Colander but placed in foam box, how often should i pull out of the box to root prune?
its still first year and probably does not have any roots protruding out of colander just yet - planted first week of August.

Regards
B
Hi Banong,
You will be surprised how quick the roots will grow out of the Colander especially during the active growing season. Being in a foam box I would lift the tree at about 6 month intervals. When the trunk is getting to the size you require you might lift the tree every 3-4 months, during the really active growing season, and check how the roots are progressing.

Regards Ray
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hey Ray,

I've recently potted a couple of trees into colanders.

They are positioned on the ground, but I have been rotating them every fortnight in order for the sun to get to both sides.

Does this make it pointless?

Roots are still entering the soil below to about 1cm or so, but would have to reset each fortnight.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Pearcy001 wrote:Hey Ray,

I've recently potted a couple of trees into colanders.

They are positioned on the ground, but I have been rotating them every fortnight in order for the sun to get to both sides.

Does this make it pointless?

Roots are still entering the soil below to about 1cm or so, but would have to reset each fortnight.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pearcy.
Hi Pearcy,
I fully understand your process. With the scenario you have described I would do the following. Remove some of the soil under where the pot is sitting. Replace with some good potting mix, this doesn't have to be bonsai mix. Leave the soil unpacked and place the pot on the new soil. When you lift the pot to turn it around loosen up the potting mix, (you have added), and place the pot back on the soil. When the roots are growing and getting a little to large cut them off and repeat the process.

Regards Ray
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by BB Brian »

Ray M wrote:
banong wrote:
Hi Ray,

Regards
B
Hi Banong,
You will be surprised how quick the roots will grow out of the Colander especially during the active growing season. Being in a foam box I would lift the tree at about 6 month intervals. When the trunk is getting to the size you require you might lift the tree every 3-4 months, during the really active growing season, and check how the roots are progressing.

Regards Ray
Cheers Ray, will check roots and trim back come late January / early February.
Regards
Brian
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”