Lilly Pilly repot

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Lulu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Lillypilly
Bonsai Age: 15

Lilly Pilly repot

Post by Lulu »

Hi Bonsai people I have been noticing that this bonsai has been lifting itself out of the pot.
On investigation it has become root bound with the biggest roots wrapping around the edge.
Also the potting mix has gone spongy so
the plant needs a major repot.
Would someone advise me on how hard could I root prune.The pot depth is about 2cm and I want to get as much new mix in the pot as possible.
IMG_20180519_145155.jpg
IMG_20180519_145230.jpg
IMG_20180519_145244.jpg
IMG_20180519_145300.jpg
Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on May 19th, 2018, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Lilly Pilly repot

Post by Bougy Fan »

You should be able to remove at least half of the root ball. You need to rake out all the roots and trim back to the pot shape. Make sure you use a free draining mix and put some in the pot first. I always cut back about half of the top as well to balance the roots. Make sure you water in the mix well to remove air pockets and seasol it for at least a week. Aftercare is the most important thing and never allow the roots to fully dry out.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on May 19th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hi Lulu,
I have a couple of lilly pilly but I have not done enough with them to be an authority on the species however most other natives do far better when root pruned in the warmer weather. I note that you are on the North coast so maybe your climate is mild enough to get away with root pruning natives all year round but down here I would defer repotting nay natives until October or later.

Also note that lilly pilly covers several (related) species and I'm not sure whether they all have the same requirements.
Look forward to other contributions if other growers have better personal experience with one or more of these species.

In general I follow similar guidelines to Bougy fan but often prune roots harder than 1/2 on species I'm confident with.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Hi Lulu,

Definitely not an expert but I did document the root work I did to a lilly pilly last October.
before_work.JPG
This Syzygium australe 'Bush Christmas' had been in this same pot for about nine years. The rootball been had cut in half a couple of times however, the fine roots had become so dense that it was very hard to water.
the_roots.JPG
I went pretty hard on the roots, removing the downward growing roots, reducing the thick horizontal roots and thinning out the fine surface roots.
after_root work.JPG
I also removed quite a lot of the foliage at the same time but I don't have a photograph sorry. Anyway here is the tree back in March.
march2018.JPG
Subsequently, this tree has been to a Hugh Grant workshop, where the structure was set for the future.
Hope this helps

Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”