The most common mistake......

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
dmjames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: The most common mistake......

Post by dmjames »

Thanks for this, very informative :tu: .
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: The most common mistake......

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Very valid observations Mike! As a past mass murderer of stock trees, your message resonates.

It's almost as if growing bonsai stock in ordinary nursery pots (or heaven forbid, oversized bonsai pots) is somehow flawed....
20180601_164824.jpg
Overwater? Nope. Overfeed? Difficult. Improved performance of store bought potting mixes? Yes, on the proviso that you don't use complete junk.

UV stability with some of these containers has been mentioned by a few people to be an issue, it has taken a bit of trial and error for me to find the expected working life of these, however clockwise from bottom left: 4-5 years, 2 years and running (still trialling these ones), 6 years+ (drilling out regular nursery pots does compromise them a little) and 4-6 years. The large black crates are fully UV stable for 10+ years. All figures full sun, an hour northeast of Melbourne.

All sarcasm aside, my advice to anyone growing bonsai would be to ditch nursery pots or modify them.

Cheers,
Mojo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”