Rabbit manure

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Rabbit manure

Post by Ryszil »

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using rabbit manure as a fertiliser. I have a rabbit at home (who would be much bigger if he didn't go so much I'm sure). I have read that it is an excellent fertiliser that can be applied direct to the soil as a slow release or composted. My level of experience means I go cross eyed when I look at N-P-K values but from what I can find the values are N- 2.4 P- 1.4 K- .60 with the same website giving chicken manure as N- 1.1 P-.80 K- .50 if that helps.

thanks guys
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Rabbit manure

Post by Bougy Fan »

At those levels I would almost classify it as a soil conditioner rather than a fertiliser. Can't see the harm in using it except you may have weeds come up in it unless you compost it with some heat to kill the weed seeds.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Ryszil , people rave about dynamic lifter and rooster booster and yes the N.P.K is 10 % of bugger all really . The only issue you may have is the urea or urine saturation content as rabbits usually pee where the poo .

Ever notice good grass growth where rabbit droppings are found , usually it a short distance from the mound beyond the pee flow

Cow manure from feed lots is usually saturated with urine and actually repels water , I buggered a grow bed here top dressing with the very same cow manure , only did it once though .

Try it but dont rely on it .

Cheers . Alpineart.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Ryszil »

Good to know guys, thank you

I'll stick mainly to the store bought stuff but might as well use some of it. The little bugger chewed through the cord of my beer fridge, I thought this might have been a way he could redeem himself, the stew pots looking better all the time ;)

It got my wondering though, what would they have used in ancient times?
TimJ7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by TimJ7 »

Hi Ryszil,
I've used rabbit poo in gardens and it's fine because it's not as "hot" as other fresh poo (like chook) can be. This means it's not likely to burn the roots of seedlings. I'd consider it a soil conditioner really and work it into a mix, compost it and use it a few weeks later.
Not sure it holds much value for bonsai mixes though....
just my 2 cents worth
TJ

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”