Responsible advice

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
SteveW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples, cork oaks
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Wauchope

Responsible advice

Post by SteveW »

A bonsai newsletter I just read has this piece of advice in it: 'Natives are very Potassium sensitive!'

That's a new one. Perhaps its a big typo for the too common advice about phosphorus fertiliser and natives?

It prompted me to do a quick Google search for any mention of this. I found the usual array of pages talking about phosphorus sensitivity, and more correctly the lack of phosphorus sensitivity in most Australian plants. I found nothing about potassium sensitivity.

The newsletter also repeated the old husbands' tale about phosphorus sensitivity. About Bloom Buster fertiliser it said "DON’T use this product on Aussie N a t i v e s ( I n s t a n t Death)." Although this is a extreme example, other newsletters and Gardening Australia have also provided the same misleading or inaccurate advice.

I believe people providing advice to others, especially from a position of supposed knowledge, have a responsibility to provide reasonably accurate advice. This newsletter failed on that score.

End of whinge. :beer:
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Responsible advice

Post by Joel »

I'd contact the publisher of the letter. It's certainly a midtake. Anybody in a position where they have an audience worthy of releasing a newsletter would know the difference between P and K and sheepishly change it once they've been notified.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”