Repotting

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Ako
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Northern districts bonsai club

Repotting

Post by Ako »

Im in Adelaide South Australia just wondering whether it's too late to repot my radiata pine??
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Repotting

Post by Akhi »

I am new to pines so someone more experienced should chime in, but my understanding (hours and hours of watching videos and reading up) is that it depends on stage of where your pine is at. If it’s development phase then only disturb it in winter as well as if it is a priceless heirloom. Everything else repot when you can except when it’s super hot and the new needles are just out and not hardened. As that will be the end of those needles in the hot dry Adelaide summer.
I don’t believe that you bare root pines, only trim the roots.if all you are taking off is one third the roots and provide good after care (keep in shade and well watered not drenched) I don’t see why you can’t do it now.
I am in melb and my radiata pines are only starting to elongate their candles.
I have been told you should not do work on your pines and repot in the same year. I am yet to have to deal with that situation.
Oh and my first pines I got bare rooted as someone had thrown them away! Three of them survived and two perished. The two that perished did so because I had them under eaves and they didn’t get water! So long story short, even bare rooted pines survive. And hence my starting comment IT depends :-)
Share us your radiata’s pics as I am super keen to get ideas and cultivation tips on it. Don’t see a lot of radiata specific information.
Ako
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Northern districts bonsai club

Post by Ako »

I can't actually work out how to share pics 😅
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I can't actually work out how to share pics 😅
When you are in the reply window scroll down to find OPTIONS and ATTACHMENTS buttons. Just below save preview and submit.
Click on ATTACHMENTS any you should get ADD FILES button. Click on that then add the files you want to post. Note that Ausbonsai has a file size limit of around 1Mb so you'll probably need to compress or resize the photo files before you can use them here.

It is a bit cooler over here but I'm still repotting pines and junipers. Younger trees are way more tolerant of root pruning so have a wider window of time for repotting than older trees.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Ako wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:15 pm I can't actually work out how to share pics 😅
I always use a screen grab on my mobile and upload that one. simplest way it works if uploading from a mobile device.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”