Thoughts on potting in pure sphagnum moss

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
archie1979
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Elms & Hoping to get into Natives
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: none yet

Re: Thoughts on potting in pure sphagnum moss

Post by archie1979 »

Hey Jamie,
I totally agree with you on that one but you know what they say about common sense.
It aint that common

hahah :lol: :lol:

Yeah I find it hard to imagine that anything could survive happily in sphag moss for a whole year, especially a juni. You know what they are like with wet feet.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the articles Archie.
I had read that first one before but I gather I was only interested in the human health concerns with Spag when I read it. It is very interesting stuff.
I gather the wetness is not an issue otherwise it would have issues curing root rot. In a curative sense vigorous rootgrowth (at the expense of top-growth) sounds much better than a dead tree that has no top-growth.
If this is all true then the reduced top growth would be a disadvantage in many instances of normal technique but just as in a curative sense I can think of a few other instances where this could be very useful.
As always it is a matter of whether we decide to look at the glass half full or half empty. Thats why sense is never common!
I would be very interested to understand how it encourages root growth at the expense of shoot growth. This is a specific auxin indicator to me. Although taking a wild guess I wonder if Spag moss is anything like the willow that produces a high amount of auxin for regenerating parts that break off ?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
archie1979
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Elms & Hoping to get into Natives
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: none yet

Post by archie1979 »

It really is all very interesting, I guess if the right brothers decided not to try anything new we would all still be walking, driving and sailing everywhere. It must work and probably someone with a higher degree of scientific nouse would know better than I.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Jan wrote:I use a bed of prue spagnum to strike cuttings, the latest a better than 6 inch wide Kurrajong that is shooting well for me. Below that bed of spagnum (usually about 1 inch thick) I use a mix of 50%spagnum/50% seed raising mix for the new roots to grow on into. Most things seem to love it, recently Ginkos, berberis, roses, elms, Kurrrajongs and eucs.

All I can tell you is that in my dry (low humidity) climate a generous percentage of spagnum works well for me. I have not tried planting in 100%, I only use it for that first inch or so when establishing new roots.

Jan
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can strike Eucalyptus from cuttings? This is an amazing feat! They are extremely difficult to root from cuttings. Can you please describe the process in full on another thread? WOW!

Joel.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Joel wrote:You can strike Eucalyptus from cuttings?
Don't get too excited Joel, the cuttings of Euc. Meliodora that I struck still had a section of Lig. tuber; it was just that the existing roots were way too thick and long so I cut them, and the inverse taper at the base of the tuber, off and treated them just like any other cutting that I strike using a spagnum bed and spag rich soil mix. It seems to be working so far - they have a rash of shoots with up to 5 leaves on the shoots. I thought that was the way everyone does it. The cutting that surprised me is the 6 inch thick Kurrajong; it has shot but it is still early days yet - I'll get excited when they've survived a complete season.

Jan.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”