Diatomite and similar properties testing

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Re: Diatomite and similar properties testing

Post by NBPCA »

Soil Mix Component Tests.
Hi Everyone,
Soon I will be posting the results of my tests of the components only that can go into potting mixes or be bonsai potting mixes on their own.

I thought I would use Akadama and Kanuma as a known reference point to start with. The reason being that Kanuma and Akadama have been tried, tested and used by the Japanese for a long time and so the properties/performance of the component/soil on its own is known for both Akadama and Kanuma. Kanuma is used 100% on its own for Azalaeas and Akadama can be used on its own for a wide range of plants. Akadama can also be used in blends of components to create your own tailored mix.

I am not advocating that Akadama or Kanuma be your bonsai mix or part of your mix! I am just looking at how it performs and then comparing it to other materials that we can also readily source in Australia.

Proprietary Bonsai mixes made by the Bonsai nurseries and Debco, Amgrow etc are treated as a component or stand alone mix as well. I cannot say exactly what is in each blend and to a certain extent it is irrelevant as I am only looking at its performance; not what it is made up of or giving a recipe to duplicate someone elses mix.

There are so many possible components and grades of components used.

Once I am ready to go I will start a ne thread.

Grant
Josh7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Maples
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: None, but looking...

Post by Josh7 »

Thanks for the info (to date) on potting mediums. I am mixing my own mixes for the first time this season, so i have genuine interest in the findings.
I am repotting at the moment with 50% Maidenwell 2-7mm diatamite and 50% Aussie Native mix (small Pine bark particles) for both evergreen and deciduous.
This mix takes 2lt of water before it starts to seep out of drainage holes when in Orchid pots (300mm x 12cm), which is proof that it will hold more than it's weight.
Now to see how long it holds moisture for and how trees grow and adapt to a new mix...
Last edited by Josh7 on August 9th, 2010, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do i have a plethora of pinatas?
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Bretts wrote:Hi KC, That idea was over my head when I tried that test I didn't think to put it in a jar with a lid and got bored with refilling the container with water when it dried out after a couple of months :lol:
I have some chandlers at the moment I will make up a couple of jars one with chandlers and one with akadama. Recently I read some where that the softer akadama actually has a horticultural advantage in some instances over the harder stuff. Can't remember details but in certain circumstances it seems there is an advantage so although I had concluded that Diatomite is a superior medium to ChandlersI now wonder if it has it's place just as softer Akadama does.
It did a great job on the roots of a English elm that's roots where a little poorly two years ago when I got it. It is due for a repott come spring so I will make sure I take pictures!

I only read that the other day I will try to find it to clarify when the softer akadama is an advantage!

Sorry about your thread Grant. Maybe the mods can split this over the the other thread that was about this?

Here is the old thread on this
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2292&hilit

Hi Brett,

i never got around to the sitting in water test. Did you do it with the attapulgite and what was the result?

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Sorry Grant I don't think I did the sitting in water test and only have a vauge memory of what it is :palm:
Ah now I remember it was something about wether the medium would soak up more water if left soaking in water compared to water just being tipped over the medium. Hmm so many variables :palm: :wave:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!

Post by Elmar »

deleted - found what I was looking for .. I believe.
Last edited by Elmar on February 2nd, 2014, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!

Post by Elmar »

Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”