100% Diatomite?

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: 100% Diatomite?

Post by 63pmp »

Gareth,

Thanks, it would be appreciated. I'm looking for a organic fert to compliment my inorganics.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Gareth »

Hi Paul,

pictures are attached, of the Kickalong (i was way off), the elemental analysis and the slow release i use.

I use the slow release because it has more of a trace element profile to it, as well as the general ingredients.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey Gareth
I was looking at the kickalong range the other day. I liked the sound of it not sure maybe I just liked the name. :)
Let us know how it goes.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

Thanks for posting up the analysis, Gareth.

This is the first compost/fertiliser I've come across that has Calcium and Magnesium in adequate % levels. Though perhaps the magnesium is a little low. I'm very interested in getting some and trying it.

I know some people like osmocote but I don't think it has much to offer, its high in urea and lacks calcium and magnesium. Without the added kickalong I think you would run into deficiency problems if used on its own. The kickalong also seems to have enough trace elements (except boron) to cope without the osmocote. The problem with organic composts is you don't know what nutrients are coming out at which particular time.

Back on topic:

Glenda

Is the algae you get on your diatomite (I think this needs to be pronounced DI- ATO-MITE, with a strong JJ accent) similar to the green algae that forms on perlite? If so this is perfectly natural and actually appears on the surface of all bonsai, its just difficult to see on non white potting media. Or is it a thick gelatinous mass? In which case it shouldn't be there and means your mix is too wet.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

63pmp wrote:.......Glenda

Is the algae you get on your diatomite (I think this needs to be pronounced DI- ATO-MITE, with a strong JJ accent) similar to the green algae that forms on perlite? If so this is perfectly natural and actually appears on the surface of all bonsai, its just difficult to see on non white potting media. Or is it a thick gelatinous mass? In which case it shouldn't be there and means your mix is too wet.

Paul
Hi Paul. Not sure what the algae on perlite looks like, but this is a thin, green/black surface thing only, and smells like wet soil. Until recently the only diatomite I could get was Septone Dryup, which is an industrial spillage clean-up product. It is diatomite, but with a very high clay content which needs to be washed out (and washed, and washed, then washed some more). When repotting the plants in this stuff, I noticed that some fine particles have settled to the bottom and become a bit sludgy. I got some Maidenwell diatomite last week, and have been repotting. I will let you know if it does any better.

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”