Potting Mix Tests Results Abbreviated

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Re: Potting Mix Tests Results Abbreviated

Post by NBPCA »

Dario wrote:Hi Grant and thanks for the information!
I use a blend in my soil mix and have recently switched from MW diatomite to MS diatomite. In the single medium tests do you have any thoughts/ideas as to why the ash seedlings did better in MS compared to MW diatomite?...just curious?
Cheers, Dario.
No, Not really. The Maidenwell in the bag "feels" to be a drier, dustier component than the Mt Sylvia.

They should perform about the same in a blend I would think.

grant
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Dario wrote:...In the single medium tests do you have any thoughts/ideas as to why the ash seedlings did better in MS compared to MW diatomite?...just curious?
Small sample size...
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

NBPCA wrote:
Dario wrote:Hi Grant and thanks for the information!
I use a blend in my soil mix and have recently switched from MW diatomite to MS diatomite. In the single medium tests do you have any thoughts/ideas as to why the ash seedlings did better in MS compared to MW diatomite?...just curious?
Cheers, Dario.
No, Not really. The Maidenwell in the bag "feels" to be a drier, dustier component than the Mt Sylvia.

They should perform about the same in a blend I would think.

grant
I started out using Maidenwell, ( 2 years), and swapped to Mt Sylvia when the original miune closed. Not been using that for 3-4 years and really, aside from colour) cannot pick any difference between them. ( note I use a mix with Zeolite).

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Thanks for your reply Grant :tu2:
Yeah I was just curious as I expected they both would have pretty much the same result instead of MS diatomite "moderate", and MW 'poor" in the single component test.
Not trying to start the issue of "is one better than the other?" as that has been raised and answered many times before.
I just found the results interesting. Perhaps as Scott suggests it could be due to sample size or something else?
Thanks for continuing to make the results of your tests available Grant. :tu2:
Cheers, Dario. :)
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

It seems most questions have been answered ... but I wonder why, when Kuma (?) appeared to be a clear winner right at the beginning, it has not been further tested in the mixes?
The purpose I these tests, I believe, was to show the effects of the different substrates in order to find the best?!?!?!

Is there a reason it's been left out of ongoing tests? As mentioned by Reddog and other newbies, who want to get better at this art quickly we are looking to guidance from the more experienced... To me, leaving out the 'apparently' best performer, seems strange - like the tests are "rigged, man!"

Cheers
EZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:It seems most questions have been answered ... but I wonder why, when Kuma (?) appeared to be a clear winner right at the beginning, it has not been further tested in the mixes?
The purpose I these tests, I believe, was to show the effects of the different substrates in order to find the best?!?!?!

Is there a reason it's been left out of ongoing tests? As mentioned by Reddog and other newbies, who want to get better at this art quickly we are looking to guidance from the more experienced... To me, leaving out the 'apparently' best performer, seems strange - like the tests are "rigged, man!"

Cheers
EZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about; as I believe you don't either. Firstly what you call Kuma (?) I presume you mean Kanuma?

Kanuma is part of the trial at all stages and is known to be quite a good media for satsuki Azalea. It was however never selected to be part of a blend as it was never requested(It is expensive and not readily available everywhere).

Grant
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Potting Mix Tests Results Abbreviated

Post by Elmar »

Grant Bowie wrote: Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about; as I believe you don't either. Firstly what you call Kuma (?) I presume you mean Kanuma?
Nice! To be fair, I stated that I don't have much experience, and can only venture a guess that 'spell-correct' changed it ...
Grant Bowie wrote: Kanuma is part of the trial at all stages and is known to be quite a good media for satsuki Azalea. It was however never selected to be part of a blend as it was never requested(It is expensive and not readily available everywhere).

Grant
This is what I was after. Thank you for the testing and the put-down. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Last edited by Elmar on February 3rd, 2014, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hi EZ, I do not think that Grant put you down, he was stating facts.
Kuma is not a substrate, however Kanuma, is a species specific product so to include it in a general potting mix test would not serve any ones interest.

Kanuma is produce from Kanuma region in Japan specifically for growing Satsuki and other azaleas, and other acid loving plants like Camellias.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Actually it was a put down. If you accuse the tests as being "Rigged, man" without any evidence or apparent reason you really are asking for it.

The tests were as fair as I could make them with helpful input from many people.

Grant
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi can i remind everyone to keep on topic and respectful of each other.
I suspect the spelling of "Kuma" may be lack of knowledge or an autocorrect fail ( EZ does post from a Phone). but should not raise anyones ire.

Re the discussion here, Kanuma is mentioned 16 times in that thread and has been part of the tests as an Adjunct to the main experiments, as it acknowledged as a specific substrate for a specific tree type. To use it as a general additive in a mix will be non productive and in fact most likely be counter productive.

as for it not being in the summaries it is specified here in the same thread
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5745&p=175412&hilit=kanuma#p175412
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5745&p=84208&hilit=kanuma#p84208
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5745&p=83763&hilit=kanuma#p83763
so cannot see the reason to doubt the tests nor question them.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

My apologies to Grant. I in no way intended that to be an accusation. It was meant as tongue in cheek - in that I failed.
Once again, Grant, please accept my apology. As all newbies, we are looking for anything that'll give us an edge before we actually have the understanding that comes from experience in this art. Foolishly, I didn't consider the effect those words would have when read by someone other than me.

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Pup wrote: Kuma is not a substrate, however Kanuma, is a species specific product so to include it in a general potting mix test would not serve any ones interest.

Kanuma is produce from Kanuma region in Japan specifically for growing Satsuki and other azaleas, and other acid loving plants like Camellias.

Cheers Pup
This is where didn't understand, but grant answered it in the post just after mine.

Thank Ken, I will vet my language more closely in future.

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Are these tests still ongoing? I would be interested in hearing how they have performed a couple of years on.

Also. Grant, you mentioned in a post on the 5th page that the struggling trees were re-potted into "our standard mix", do you mind me asking what it is? (My apologies if I'm asking you to repeat yourself (again). :oops:)
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Waltron wrote:Are these tests still ongoing? I would be interested in hearing how they have performed a couple of years on.

Also. Grant, you mentioned in a post on the 5th page that the struggling trees were re-potted into "our standard mix", do you mind me asking what it is? (My apologies if I'm asking you to repeat yourself (again). :oops:)
No,

The tests are not ongoing. I found the mix below adequate in my own use at home after retiring from the job as Curator of NBPCA.

Our standard mix at the NBPCA is:-
40% Diatomite(I still have some Maidenwell and mix 1/2 1/2 with Mt Sylvia)
20% Zeolite
20% Pine Bark Mini Nuggets
20% Coconut fibre/Coconut Peat/Coir Fibre..

Occasionally I now add 5 or 10% of Akadama to the above mix; to use up the stock I have. I use this mix on everything (Conifers, deciduous and Natives)and have not had any problems.(Maybe one trident maple had a light dry out one year but no deaths attributable to the mix)

The standard mix is on the dry side so you can make up your own mind for your climate, watering habits and work pattern etc.

Grant
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Hi Grant
Are you still using the mix you mentioned in the last post, also would you put a bit more diatomite in it to make it a bit wetter for Sydney climate maybe, Thanks :wave:
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”