swamp cypress with splitting bark

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
robc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Homo sapiens
Bonsai Age: 11

swamp cypress with splitting bark

Post by robc »

Hi All,

i purchased a swampy 2 or 3 months ago. it was in fairly average condition at the time but since putting the pot on a water dish in full morning sun it has grown very vigorously. everything seemed fine until i noticed a deep crack in the bark of the truck going through to the heartwood. i have never had this happen with any other tree (although this is my first swampy)
has this happened to anyone elses swampies? what caused it? is it a problem? and if so, how do i fix it? :lost:

thanks,
Rob
20140415_170732.jpg
20140415_170802.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: swamp cypress with splitting bark

Post by Naimul »

mine used to split the bark all the time (while it was still alive...) but not to the extent youre experiencing. on mine i could see green, but not the core. i think its just growing faster that the bark can expand or whatever, should be fine in my opinion as long as nothing gets in to infect it.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Yep, a few of mine have done that.
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

Hi Rob

I'd think the tree is struggling to cope with the new amounts of water it's getting. I have several swampies and they all crack to some degree. This is not a problem though. I actually place short vertical cuts into various parts of the trunks of my swampies and they thicken up and look weathered very quickly. It creates a craggy and rough texture to the tree and gives the appearance of age. Check out the April section in our website http://www.toowoombabonsai.com and it shows a swampy getting airlayered and having the scored technique to add age to the tree. It's hard to imagine that the demo tree is only 8 yrs old. Incidentally, in our March webpage we have several photos of a great swamp cypress with terrific movement having several branches lowered with the inserted pebble method.

Also, you may like to consider airlayering your cypress, then you'd get two or three trees for your present one. Also, this would then give you two or three new trees with some good initial movement, rather than the tall straight tree you presently have. I have taken you photo and put some lines where an air layer could be placed, thereby giving you more trees. I have also numbered the branch that would be a possible new leader for the layer. You'll be amazed how simple it is (with a little bit of courage).

If you prefer to have a straight tree, then I'd be scoring and marking across the bottom of your tree now and then doing a trunk chop. This will get more taper into you tree. But if you are going to trunk chop, then why not air layer it and so you'll get you second tree for nothing.

Good luck with it all!

Stew
possible layering points with new leaders numbered.jpg
tree.jpg
tree2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

I found my photos of the air layer for my swampy and have posted for you to see how it looked when I did it and then took off.
20130403_145918.jpg
20130624_163438.jpg
20130626_102013.jpg
20130626_104417.jpg
hope this helps

cheers

Stew

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com

Return to “Deciduous”