Silver Birch Air Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Silver Birch Air Layer

Post by Scooter_M »

Hey guys, re this tree above, i'd like to remove the middle air layer sometime soon. Im just wondering if there is a limitation to this for the time of year? I know that deciduous usually you would re-pot just before the buds open. However im not sure if this applies for an airlayer? Its also only half way through our spring, so its still got a fair bit of growing season left.

Cheers.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Silver Birch Air Layer

Post by Ray M »

Scooter_M wrote:Hey guys, re this tree above, i'd like to remove the middle air layer sometime soon. Im just wondering if there is a limitation to this for the time of year? I know that deciduous usually you would re-pot just before the buds open. However im not sure if this applies for an airlayer? Its also only half way through our spring, so its still got a fair bit of growing season left.

Cheers.
Hi Scooter_M,
It all depends on how many roots there are. Remove the alfoil and check the root mass. As long as it has substantial roots you can take it off. If there are few roots showing you can leave it and wait a little longer. With the weather warming up there should be much more vigor, and you may see roots develop more quickly. If the layer still needs to be left on for more roots to develop, make sure the layer is still moist. You should be able to see condensation under the plastic.

Regards Ray

Return to “Deciduous”