Gonna make an oak forest

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Gonna make an oak forest

Post by Sno »

My mate down the road is growing oak trees to produce truffles . I gave her a hand when she was first starting out . She had a few trees left over after she had finished and she kindly gave them to me . Well I am more interested in bonsai than truffles so I have decided to start a forest . The trees I got from her were only tube stock so they have a way to go so I have been looking for some larger trees to start .
So today I started . This is going to be a long term project a so this will be a progression .
The dominant tree .
image.jpg
The rock is decomposed granite
image.jpg
I carved a bowl out of it inspired by Josh ,drilled a 20mm core hole through it and made some wire tye down things inspired by Graham .
image.jpg
Leveled the base just in case I want to show it on its own .
image.jpg
I made some muck using some clumping cat litter (which is a type of clay called bentonite) and some goat poo to level the sides .
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Re: Gonna make an oak forest

Post by Isitangus »

Looking forward to seeing this progress-who knows maybe you might end up with truffles under your bonsai!!! Lol
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

That is a really good start. Good luck with the Oaks as they can be a challenge. :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Hahaha maybe he'll get some Bonsai truffles!!!
They may be worth more than the normal truffles...

Cheers
EZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

So I hit a few snags on this project . It's all in the timing , my mate who is giving me all the trees lives in Jindabyne which is a little bit lower in altitude than me . She gave me some last year which I had started to train . When I went to pick up the last lot a week ago they had already leafed out . The ones I have at home meanwhile have just started to leaf out . so I am not game to play with them till next spring . All these trees are over 7 years old (even though they look like seedlings) so another year growing on will do them good .
I picked up another tree from a bonsai nursery in Melbourne last autumn , I was looking for some bigger stock to balance the forest . This tree had fairly ordinary roots for a bonsai starter, they had not had any work done to them so I will train them this year in a garden sieve with some of the stock I got last year.
I have three more granite slabs which will come together in a tiered jigsaw type thing . So this is to be one of those to be continued stories .
Hi Bohdi when you say challenge , any tips ? Cheers Sno
A few photos
image.jpg
image.jpg
The next two photos are inspiration images .
image.jpg
image.jpg
The difference in altitude Jindabyne 1000m where I live 1200m close to 3 weeks growth .
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tree from Melbourne bonsai nursery .
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Titled
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Sno wrote:Hi Bohdi when you say challenge , any tips ? Cheers Sno
Yep, patience as your project will be slow. These take a lot of time and patience and are unpredictable. i have defoliated and have had the leaves come back smaller and then next time larger. :lost: They respond to strong pruning and FEED well.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “Deciduous”