New Chinese elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

New Chinese elm

Post by Homer911 »

Just bought myself a new chinese elm. Not sure how old it is but looks at least 20 yo.

Its quite large and im not sure yet if im going to chop most of the top off yet or not. It has a long non tapering section in the middle. If it had some foliation on this secrion i would think of leaving it.

It really needs a repot. Is ot too late for that now?

https://youtu.be/RBnt9YnvbH0

Any taughts or suggestions welcome
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: New Chinese elm

Post by Brian »

make sure you keep any root prunings as they make excellent cuttings for future bonsai material.
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Beautiful age in that trunk man. :cool: I see two trees in there.
I'll layer the top now (I'm a bit layer crazy), and put it bag and all recessed in the ground to develop the bottom later. That way you don't need to disturb the roots by repotting now, but they will penetrate the ground, and rejuvenate some strength for what's waiting for it... :D
Last edited by fredman on November 26th, 2015, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Brian wrote:make sure you keep any root prunings as they make excellent cuttings for future bonsai material.
Really??? Didnt know that. Will keep it in mind when repotting. Thanks brian...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

fredman wrote:Beautiful age in that trunk man. :cool: I see two trees in there.
I'll layer the top now (I'm a bit layer crazy), and put it bag and all recessed in the ground to develop the bottom later. That way you don't need to disturb the roots by repotting now, but they will penetrate the ground, and rejuvenate some strength for what's waiting for it... :D
Cheers fred.... i was thinking about layering the top. I may be a little too tall for the trunk diameter and the lack of growth in the middle.

Im just a little concerned how long it will take to re establish the top of the main tree if i do layer it. i think chinese elms are slow growing.

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Chinese elms are many things Homer, but they're not slow growing!!!

It won't take long at all to push out new growth - I'm with Fredman, I'd layer it. :tu:
(also like Fredman, I have a layering affliction ... it's a contagious technique!)

There's definitely two trees in there ... Have fun!
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Nice find. If that was my tree I'd hit the top hard to try to get more growth on that second trunk section, and then maybe cut it back t a new leader later. Something like this.....
image.jpeg
Elms will grow fast and you can feed them heavily!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on November 26th, 2015, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Ryceman3 wrote:Chinese elms are many things Homer, but they're not slow growing!!!

It won't take long at all to push out new growth - I'm with Fredman, I'd layer it. :tu:
(also like Fredman, I have a layering affliction ... it's a contagious technique!)

There's definitely two trees in there ... Have fun!
Really??? Im sure i read that somewhere. Im glad... maybe i should air layer it so.

Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

How about repotting now?

fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

I would. Just don't remove to many roots now... :yes:
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

I have finaly made the decision to air layer my new elm. I changed my mind nemerous times but ended up with the air layer.

2015-12-16 11.07.58.jpg
2015-12-16 11.26.27.jpg
2015-12-16 11.07.58.jpg
I soaked the spagnum moss in seasol for about an hour before applying it to the tree. I then wrapped it in clear palstic and tied it up with some cord.

Fingers crossed.........

Hopefully in 8 weeks or so I will have some roots. I really think that it needs a repot but because I stared the air layer should I wait until I have some results from the layer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Good luck with the layer Homer, I think I would've done the same :yes: .
Look after the parent tree now, the health of the layer relies on the health of it. I'd hold off on the re-pot for now, no need for added stress.
I look forward to hearing some good news re:layer activity in a few weeks or so!
:beer:
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

So...... I carried out the air layer just over 2 weeks ago now. I have noticed that I am seeing some yellowing leaves only on the top. There are not may but more and more every day. I am not very up to speed with horticultural science but I presume that there is a reduction of the flow of nutrients and this may be causing the yellowing. Is this normal for an air layer? Should I be worried? :palm:

I have just moved the tree to an area of direct sun for about 8 hrs a day ( about a week ago) . Where, as before, it was only getting about 6 hrs a day but only half of the tree was exposed.

I totally understand that some of the leaves may not be getting enough nutrients because of the layer but I thought that the nutrients come up through the trunk and the sugars go down the cambium to the roots, thus creating the roots at the cut site.

I am also fertilizing the tree the same as the rest of my trees, not sure if I should be fertilizing or not?

Thanks
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

G'day Homer . I have had air layers get yellowing leaves before and the tree still struck roots . To me it was a sign of the branch stressing , not enough water or something like that . If you can put the tree back to the 6 hour spot . You also have a bit of scale on the tree .
The other thing , and I could be wrong , because it is hard with photos ,is your layer is not deep enough .In the first photo of your airlayer ( the one showing the ring bark ) ,it looks like you haven't cut through the cambium layer .
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Cheers sno. No, i definitely went all the way through to hard wood. Maybe ill move it back.

The top also has new growth so its not in a dire state. It needs a repot very badly. I think its pot bound so this could be another reason why.......

Return to “Deciduous”