Japanese flowering cherry-advice please

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Re: Japanese flowering cherry-advice please

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Treeman thanks again especially for the recommendation of sourcing International Bonsai No1. Understand that I'll have to treat this one with greater attention and care... May even talk to it occassionly...? Have researched on the net and an important factor with cherries is that they don't like high alkaline soils... So I'll have this into consideration when making my mix.

Thanks again ...have really appreciated your educated responses to my questions

Thanks again
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Is it possible to ground layer using the tourniquet technique on flowering cherries....? see pic (3). Reason that I want to create a new root spread is that below the previous branch chop to the root base under the soil. Trunk actually thins to about 2/3rd's of the thickness of the main trunk above (looks really unsightly) and its about an inch & a bit in length (so there is any possibility of ever exposing the base). The root spread is un- even and doesn't grow under the chopped area. Thought I had picked a winner ( many options for future branch placement) when I picked it up. Unfortunately that's not always the case....
So was wondering if I could ground layer above the chop to create a new root spread. Hopefully this would also thicken the base slightly to create more taper. If they take well to this technique then please let me know. Will also need to know the best time to layer....was thinking mid to late spring after flowers have dropped.???
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on July 7th, 2015, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Hi Bonsaiforest - I wouldn't get too caught up in taper and root spread on your cherry. Its not so important with these guys - the best ones break the 'general' rules. Its more about the drama of a gnarly trunk and branches and contrast of delicate winter flowers. I would try and work with what you have instead of turning it into something else. Here is an image I found after a quick google search - you could probably achieve something similar with your tree?
cherry-resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Cheers JaseH...your right...kind of have to work with what the tree provides and work with what I've got rather than try to create something that's not really there. Thanks for the inspiration pic I see what you mean.

thanks again
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Have not done much with my Flowering Cherry this season... Pretty much left it to it's own devices apart from trying to grow a new leader. It has not been doing very well of late. Realistically I should of posted earlier when I noticed that it was on the decline. About a month ago it was hit really hard by those pesky green caterpillars so I applied confidor. Not soon after, all of the leaves started to curl and tips of leaves browning off. In the last 2 & 1/2 weeks it has been throwing random flower buds on lower branches... Not wanting any extra energy spent, I've been removing them as they appear. I think It's rather confused but most likely in shock and doing its best to stay alive. Even though there are many buds on the tree it has not had any new growth. It's in a free draining mix of pine bark fines, 2-4mm gravel & some diatomite mixed in. Osmocote slow release was applied just before spring. I've applied seasol to help aid roots & think that trying to add liquid fert to give it a boost is just way to risky... So what to do...? Defoliate... Probably not... as I'm not sure of where the problem lies.

All advice welcome... I really need it...!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on February 11th, 2016, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Bf. Believe it or not there's really not a lot wrong with your cherry. The burnt tips and curling on the leaves is caused by high temps and low humidity. However, the curling also means that it will flower well. Mine looks similar though not quite so bad and I've had it under shade the whole summer with regular misting. So there's not much you can do short of keeping it air conditioned fog. As long as it gets good feeding during spring and early summer and grows well then, it will be strong enough to flower the following spring. Spot flowering this time of year is also common with cherries so no problem there.
It should flower well next spring then you can cut it back to good growth buds and repot.
Last edited by treeman on February 12th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Agree with Treeman. Your Cherry looks fine. Apart from the naked top, wouldn't worry about it not pushing growth in this area at this time of year. They start to shut down earlier than other trees. Thats why the leaves get a bit raty at this time of year. Spot flowering is normal too indicates it has good energy. A few of my wild Cherries are doing the same. Some are already showing signs of starting to yellow for Autumn, all normal. Looks a nice tree, just keep doing what your doing, its happy.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

treeman wrote:Bf. Believe it or not there's really not a lot wrong with your cherry. The burnt tips and curling on the leaves is caused by high temps and low humidity. However, the curling also means that it will flower well. Mine looks similar though not quite so bad and I've had it under shade the whole summer with regular misting. So there's not much you can do short of keeping it air conditioned fog. As long as it gets good feeding during spring and early summer and grows well then, it will be strong enough to flower the following spring. Spot flowering this time of year is also common with cherries so no problem there.
It should flower well next spring then you can cut it back to good growth buds and repot.
KIRKY wrote:Agree with Treeman. Your Cherry looks fine. Apart from the naked top, wouldn't worry about it not pushing growth in this area at this time of year. They start to shut down earlier than other trees. Thats why the leaves get a bit raty at this time of year. Spot flowering is normal too indicates it has good energy. A few of my wild Cherries are doing the same. Some are already showing signs of starting to yellow for Autumn, all normal. Looks a nice tree, just keep doing what your doing, its happy.
Cheers
Kirky
Thanks Treeman & Kirky....Definitely Puts my mind at ease... Really happy & relieved that this is a normal occurrence with cherry's at this time of year. As I only fertilised just before spring with slow release, would it be wise to give it some liquid feed to provide extra nutrients before it shuts down for the season...?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

At this time of year I feed for flowers. A bit of blood n bone and anything for fruiting like Tomato food or Thrive Fruit n Flowers. This I use on pretty much everything from Plums, Cherries, Wisteria, Malus etc. not Natives. Autumn is around the corner for flowering deciduous trees, so I don't feed for foliage until after flowering. Some of my Cherries can start flowering May/June.
Cheers
Kirky
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey Kirky... Thanks for the feedback...Will be off to Bunnings tomorrow to pick up some blood & bone + Thrive fruit & flowers. Will probably alternate fortnightly. Hopefully mine will flower well early Autumn/Winter.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Just one sprinkle of blood n bone is all you need. Helps with the flowers. Thrive n Tomato feed you can do fortnightly.
Cheers
kirky
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Generally research shows that cherries should be root pruned/re-potted in Autumn. I know we're nearly a month into winter but would it be to late to do now...If not I'll just wait till next year.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Bonsaiforest,
I have root pruned in Autumn and just before leaf burst while tree was in final stages of flowering. I haven't had any problems at either of these times. I wouldn't do it now because if we get a wet winter you could have root problems.
Look forward to seeing it in full flower.
Cheers
Kirky
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Thanks Kirky...Mine usually throws out a heap of flowers just before spring....From what I understand flowering needs to slow down. New growth starts to appear just before September here, so I suppose this would be the optimal time to root prune...?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Root prune before new growth starts. Even if tree is in flower. Flower buds are set/setting now so even if tree is in flower you can root prune, its not detrimental to the flowers. Don't root prune after leaf buds have burst. If you miss this timing then root prune in mid Autumn.
Cheers
Kirky

Return to “Deciduous”