Euonymus Alata- Spindle Bush

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Euonymus Alata- Spindle Bush

Post by SueBee »

I brought this today on clearance at the Big Green shed. I love the bark texture and will chop it down to keep the bark as a feature.
it was unmarked (no label) but they had another with a label the same so I "think' it is "Euonymus Alata". (this picture is off the net for id...not mine but my tree looks identical in the bark and has two trunks like this one. My question is can I cut it back now or should I wait until dormancy? Mr Google tells me I can strike green cuttings in Summer so will do that with the prunings...if OK to cut it hard now ,it is almost 90cm high at the momenta nd there are lower branches to cut to.Will take a pic tomorrow.
euonymus_alatus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SueBee on January 17th, 2018, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Euonymus Alata- Spindle Bush

Post by shibui »

You can prune now. Most plants respond quicker when pruned while actively growing.
Cuttings will strike now if you can keep humidity high enough to stop them dehydrating before growing roots. Dormant winter cuttings are easier because there's no need for high humidity.

Did the label say dwarf? There's a dwarf variety - Euonymus alata compactus that should be a smaller type. Net says 2-3 m but ours seem to have stopped at around 1.5m tall with similar spread.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Thank you for the quick response, No label at all Shibui- that was why it was on the clearance table. Question is - suitable for bonsai or better off in my garden? Have the right spot for it if it doesn't like being to reduced into a bonsai- just love that bark. Too hot for pics right now but will get one in next 24 hours.
Last edited by SueBee on January 19th, 2018, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

The "Winged Spindle bush" renowned for stunning pink Autumn colour Sue. The non winged variety also make good Bonsai and great colour, short lived, but stunning. It is not known as "The burning bush" for nothing. Tough as nails but responds (in my experience) slowly to pruning. A little difficult in the back budding department also but will readily sucker at the base.
Last edited by bodhidharma on January 19th, 2018, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

There is a nice example of the spindle tree as bonsai at the Omiya Bonsai Village in Japan. I'll try find the photo if I took it while I was there, although no photos were allowed at the bonsai museum except a small area of trees so I may not have gotten one.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on January 19th, 2018, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Found it. There is nothing for scale, it was big as you can see from the spindles on the ramified branches.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Oh wow,Now I pray to the Bonsai gods for patience and the talent to get it there...wow I am blown away.Thanks for finding the pics Pearcy...and Bodhi... pink flowers as well what a bonus to a Burning Bush. C'mon Mother Nature give me some weather conducive to getting out into the potting shed so I can begin on "Nishi" - yep she has a name already.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Bodhi mentioned pink autumn colour. I would have said stunning red autumn colour as the burning bush name suggests. It is actually one of the strongest reds in our garden at its height in autumn.
Flowers are small, greenish and quite insignificant but followed by dangling pink fruit which split open to reveal bright red seeds.

These have also been slow to thicken and ramify here as well. Yours is already bigger than any I have so now all you need to do is grow some branches.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

O.K Neil :palm: Reddish pink. This is one i am working on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

So the "wings" disappear with age it seems- and yes I knew it would be red "burning bush" Autumn colour Shibui but thought Bohdi meant flowers... if they are insignificant the rest makes up for it...I love that trunk Bohdi. Good to have a cool day today I am off into the garden 23 seems so lovely today after the last two 40 degree days.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Just to clarify Bodhi, I thought your euonymus was E. atropurpureus? which would account for the different autumn colour.
I can't find any photos of our E. alata in autumn but a web search will show the intense red colour it should develop.

'Wings' seem to be temporary on younger wood as you can see on the Japanese bonsai. Older branches and trunk are plain. This also occurs on Ulmus procera - English elm.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

shibui wrote:Just to clarify Bodhi, I thought your euonymus was E. atropurpureus? which would account for the different autumn colour.
I can't find any photos of our E. alata in autumn but a web search will show the intense red colour it should develop.
Yes that is correct Shibui. but here is a photo of "Alata" and here in the Central highlands i get Pink. Go figure :lost: If you look to top left you will see the little fruits you were talking about.
Last edited by bodhidharma on January 20th, 2018, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”