Quince quiz

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Quince quiz

Post by melbrackstone »

Most Japanese professionals joke that those that prefer "natural" looking bonsai can't wire
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Watto wrote:I am just back from Japan and the discussion around "natural" was often discussed. Most Japanese professionals joke that those that prefer "natural" looking bonsai can't wire.
1. I'm somewhat envious of your trip to Japan :mrgreen:
2. These Japanese professionals must know me! :oops:

I was at a wiring workshop recently - it was wonderfully instructive ...and .... I am pretty sure I'd need another decade before before I even received an apprenticeship with a bonsai master!

I don't mind admitting that my comments are rooted in amateurish ignorance of the finer detail but I enjoy the discussion and learn along the way. :tu2:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Watto wrote:I am just back from Japan and the discussion around "natural" was often discussed. Most Japanese professionals joke that those that prefer "natural" looking bonsai can't wire.
GOLD!
:lol: :lol:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Watto wrote: Most Japanese professionals joke that those that prefer "natural" looking bonsai can't wire.
Those who don't prefer ''natural'' bonsai can't not wire. :twisted:
Last edited by treeman on March 19th, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

treeman wrote:
:yes: Too much damn tree can make my wire look very unnatural! ;)
tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
treeman wrote:
:yes: Too much damn tree can make my wire look very unnatural! ;)
tree.jpg

Indeed!
Mike
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

treeman wrote:Those who don't prefer ''natural'' bonsai can't not wire. :twisted:
You are probably right!
It is the well manicured trees of Japan that got me hooked on this pursuit - I like things well manicured and groomed, and in general I like all things refined.
As a psychologist once said - "“Nature creates the ‘themes,’ and culture writes the story”
This applies to my approach to bonsai.
Groomed or manicured to me suggests a notion of all-round effort, care and conscious consideration - sometimes the 'natural' needs to be curtailed in order to shine.
Maybe it is psychological for me, but it is my impression that sometimes a thing of absolute underlying beauty can be somewhat tarnished by a lack of grooming - eg: :P
grooming.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

wrcmad wrote:
treeman wrote:Those who don't prefer ''natural'' bonsai can't not wire. :twisted:
You are probably right!
It is the well manicured trees of Japan that got me hooked on this pursuit - I like things well manicured and groomed, and in general I like all things refined.
As a psychologist once said - "“Nature creates the ‘themes,’ and culture writes the story”
This applies to my approach to bonsai.
Groomed or manicured to me suggests a notion of all-round effort, care and conscious consideration - sometimes the 'natural' needs to be curtailed in order to shine.
Maybe it is psychological for me, but it is my impression that sometimes a thing of absolute underlying beauty can be somewhat tarnished by a lack of grooming - eg: :P
Manicured and groomed is one thing but whether the taste for it is refined or not is a matter of opinion.
It is easy to manicure something, we just go along and remove something that sticks out. The problem is that it very easily leads to kitsch. On the other hand trying to emulate the natural is much more difficult - in practise and in appreciation.
If you read the history of tea movement for example, the appreciation of the opposite of garishness and gorgeousness was considered the height of refinement. There was a problem here too when the pursuit of all things unprocessed and simple lead to overly anxious production of such things which reflected the exact opposite of what was intended! The result....kitsch again. :palm:
I've always disliked the idea of ''pads'' on trees for instance, but going out of your way to avoid them leads to so many paths you can become confused as to which one to follow. The result can appear just contrived as what you are trying to avoid in the first place. There is no formula to follow as there is with the manicured approach. Professional bonsai growers and dealers in Japan are the last people from which to seek advice on how to produce natural appearing bonsai. They need to produce works which appeal to a public with all the restrictive notions about beauty and refinement. However I do have a collection of quotes from Japanese bonsaiists who feel differently so the recognition of this is not restricted to the West. It will change in Japan as well - sooner or later.
Last edited by treeman on March 21st, 2018, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Return to “Deciduous”