Deciduous Bonsai in Brisbane

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Deciduous Bonsai in Brisbane

Post by pureheart »

Hello Bonsai Folks!

I’m seeking help in understanding how well deciduous trees adapt in Brisbane ? I’m referring to maples, apple, wisteria, apricots etc.... and what about pines? I know many questions!! Thank you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Deciduous Bonsai in Brisbane

Post by shibui »

I understand that JBP and junipers do reasonably well in tropical areas.
There are some growers who grow trident maples and some that have Japanese maples in Brisbane and assure us those species will grow there. While maples will survive, I suspect that they won't grow to their full potential.
I sent seed for tridents up this year for a commercial grower. He tells me that, because tridents are quite variable from seed, some of the seedlings will cope with the sub-tropical climate better than others.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

shibui wrote:I understand that JBP and junipers do reasonably well in tropical areas.
There are some growers who grow trident maples and some that have Japanese maples in Brisbane and assure us those species will grow there. While maples will survive, I suspect that they won't grow to their full potential.
I sent seed for tridents up this year for a commercial grower. He tells me that, because tridents are quite variable from seed, some of the seedlings will cope with the sub-tropical climate better than others.
Thanks Shibui I appreciate the feedback!

melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Depends on where in Brisbane, and the micro-climates that you can provide for the plants from down south.

Japanese Maples are variable, and finicky plants in Vic are likely to be even more finicky here. Tridents are also variable, as shibui says. Strangely enough, I had fabulous germination last year with tridents, and not much of the Japanese maples, this year it was the opposite, with the Japanese Maples germinating almost at 100%, whereas I've only gotten one trident seedling out of the 20? was it you sent me shibui? So weird...

The maples also tend not to colour up as well here, probably because they burn in the summer sun. Liquidambar is much more reliable in colouring up. Apples and Apricot trees aren't really reliable either, unless you grow the tropical types. I have a tropical apple which drops its leaves and is flowering now, but it's not an attractive tree. I have a Japanese Apricot tree from Taiwan which doesn't colour, or lose its leaves, but it's quite an attractive plant. Most fruit trees need to be low chill to produce fruit here....

You can get an idea of the various deciduous and fruit trees that will grow in the sub tropics from daley's nursery in northern NSW. They list the climate that is best....which could help you to decide what to try.

Good luck.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The maples also tend not to colour up as well here, probably because they burn in the summer sun.
That's only part of the autumn colouring thing. For full colour you need healthy leaves + cold + sunny days. It is that combination that sends the nutrients quickly back into the tree and leaves the pigments in the leaves and gives the strongest color. Melbourne gets cold but tends to have cloudy days at the critical times so don't get as good colours as our area which has more sunny days but still has cold nights. A few have occasionally talked about trying trees in the fridge overnights through autumn to get better colour but I don't know anyone who has actually gone through with this for more than one night at a time.

While everyone wants to grow 'traditional' bonsai species I think you are far better to grow species that suit your climate.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
morrie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by morrie »

crepe myrtle do ok if you get a mildew resistant type i think, i have 2 bonsia starters - once from a cutting off my own tree -the tree doesn't get mildew but the cutting does, the other once was grown from seed from my tree and it doesn't get mildew.
again its a micro climate thing as well i guess
Last edited by morrie on September 25th, 2018, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

I second the crepe myrtle idea. Get mildew resistant hybrids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

It looks like I can transfer to Brisbane safely with my plants then!

Return to “Deciduous”