Deciduous Air Layerings class of 2018

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.

Re: Deciduous Air Layerings class of 2018

Postby TimS » January 8th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thanks guys! If i remember to I'll take a photo of the twin trunk shishi in 2 week's time to compare the root development at the same interval after separating the layer from the tree. Both came from the same motherstock tree but i'm certain the twin trunk won't have anywhere near as much roots as this as it is moving around in the pot still.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 4

Postby TimS » January 10th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Next update is an exciting one personally, the Linden/ Tilia cordata cutting i had given up on has actually grown roots! It came from a beautiful old tree in my back garden that is as old as the house, so i wanted a piece of it as a memory as much as to bonsai it.

Given how tricky it was to get it to root i will give the details of what i did. This is by no means a guide for others to follow because it clearly took a very long time and therefore i feel there must be better answers for growing Linden/ Tilia cordata.

Cutting spec: Heel cutting of 1 year old wood, bout 5 inches in length/ 3-4 leaf/ bud nodes.
Start Timing: Cutting taken in early spring/ Approx September (i didn't record the exact date)
Treatment: Initially treated with rooting hormone powder, callus formed but no roots, after several months with no root growth the callus was scarred again and hormone applied a second time. Leaves remained green and buds plump the entire duration.
Rooting timing: Roughly 4 months for roots to emerge and establish. (noticed in January)
Location: Cutting kept in early morning sun, protected the rest of the day in dappled light/ full shade position.

Not sure what else to include but happy to answer any questions if people think of other things they would like to know
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Postby Max » January 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm

When they ripen I'll get you a few

20181226_123132.jpg

20181226_123145.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Postby TimS » January 13th, 2019, 2:34 pm

The natural fertility rate of Tilia cordata seed is extremely low from what I've researched about them, even lower in areas that experience cold, near freezing or freezing climates through winter. Seems like less than 20% of produced seed is viable, and the since the large one in the back garden hasn't ever produced seedlings in all the years I've seen it i started looking at other ways to try to grow Tilia cordata. I tried airlayering with no success at all, and i had written off my cutting but it finally decided to grow some very small, thin roots

If you feel excited and want to try to grow it from seed then go for it, just collect a heap of seed to try to get at least a small number of seedlings from it!
Last edited by TimS on January 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Postby gnichols » January 13th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Max wrote:When they ripen I'll get you a few

20181226_123132.jpg

20181226_123145.jpg
How do you tell when they are ready to pick?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Postby Max » January 13th, 2019, 3:11 pm

when they brown and harden, scarification is needed after stratification, i leave them in a bag (brown)outside, just before spring, chuck in a half hand of sand and shake like a martini for a minute and sow. I get cold winters here 8-)
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Previous

Return to Deciduous