A few Crab Apples

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

A few Crab Apples

Post by alpineart »

These are some of the crab apples that were either seed grown , layered or collected over a long period .
DSCN4158.JPG
DSCN4159.JPG
DSCN4160.JPG
I have 4 -5 different varieties from greens to deep reds. The reds in the planter bags were layers taken off in spring of this years .the small potted sticks are root cutting that sprouted and were dug last week
DSCN4161.JPG
These are usually given as gift to the children of the parent's that come up to buy tree's . Yes i do give them a bit of wiring . With 7 trees needing removal and 12 months to remove , I layered around 30 trunks off prior to digging the tree's out . .These original tree's now reside in planter bags ready to be layered again as landscape material or maybe bonsai starters
DSCN4163.JPG
.I made a make shift retaining fence too wire the tree's to as the long skinny trunks wont hold up with pots attached if a storm hits

Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: A few Crab Apples

Post by melbrackstone »

I have some with the reddish leaves, they just seem to want to grow long without branching. :( You sure do have a lot of them, and I like the idea of the fence to wire them to in case of strong wind. Might have to nick that idea, ta!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel' , than can grow leggy , just nip the tip off and thats slows them down . The restraint is required as the thin branches will snap if I don't secure them . Just a couple of star pickets with an old extension lead running in between at various heights .

I have a few , now i have a few more
DSCN4167.JPG
DSCN4168.JPG
DSCN4169.JPG
DSCN4170.JPG
DSCN4171.JPG
I set a dozen layers today and we will see what tomorrow brings .It is getting late but they grow like weeds so they should be good .Plenty of food and water will push them hard and tip pruning will begin the shaping .
I sold 120 mixed crab apples in 1 sale so these can replace what i dont have without any real outlay . I need more tree's like a hole in the head but I just hate waste .

Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These appear to be growing however they are flowering again or be it 50% of the layered trunk have a second flowering coming on ..
DSCN4308.JPG
DSCN4309.JPG
DSCN4310.JPG
DSCN4312.JPG
The original trunks haven't done this .All the flowers and fruit was removed from all the layers and main trunks .It appears to be only 1 variant that does this here ??

I have cut all the new flowers off again and will hopefully get some foliage growth .

Cheers Ian
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

They either very happy, or very unhappy, lol. Nice to see some crab apples flowering, I didn't see any this past season.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , they seem to be healthy so I'm assuming thats happy also . I have just watered and the parent trunk has 2 flowers on it , maybe its just this particular variety ..
I have had Jack Humm and John Downie flower twice in a season both these are old time green varieties with larger bi coloured apples .

Maybe I'm looking after them too well .

Cheers Ian

Return to “Deciduous”