Taxodium Distichum - Swamp Cypress

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Taxodium Distichum - Swamp Cypress

Post by alpineart »

Hi Kkc , another season should see the knee's in a legue of their own . The natural ones have outgrown the manufactured knee's 3-4 fold ,i have plcced some wire on 2 to give a more uneven shape to them . I have set a group of 5 small trunks into an extra large rectangle pot to see if the produce knee's competing with each other , should get a result either way come seasons end , quite confident they will produce the goods .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

With such a good growing season i have decided to cut this back hard and wire the new upper branches into the required positions to progress this from stick in a pot to a styled stick in a pot flat top Swampy . I have seen quite a few short fat mothers but i'm not looking to have one in my collection .Standing at over 1.8m high i had plenty to work with
100_0466.jpg
, the first cut removed 700mm but wasn't what i was after
100_0468.jpg
, the second cut another 300mmcame off
100_0469.jpg
. With the trunk now at 800mm i removed the lower unwanted branches as the have done the required job to heal the original chop where the layer was taken off . I had a play and wired the branches up into position to create the flat top effect i was looking for from the very start
100_0471.jpg
. More than happy with the canopy at this stage , it does need a slight rotation to be at its best . With the top finished to Knee's have had a clean up and any wire removed along with some of the soil .
100_0472.jpg
I have added a new layer of moss
100_0476.jpg
to highlight the Cypress knee's which i very happy with the progression of these
100_0477.jpg
. The natural knee's have worked out superior to the roots i folded and trained into knee's .
100_0482.jpg
All the leaves/fronds or what ever you call them have been trimmed to aid in new side shoots .
100_0479.jpg
. All up very happy with its progression
100_0480.jpg
, and it can only get better with time . Finished height is 1050mm from the soil level , the base is 50mmx 85mm pot size is 550mmx 350mm

Cheers Alpineart .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on February 1st, 2013, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Nice one Alpine!
I love the flat top bald cypress style and have seen great pics of examples from nature.
The more I do bonsai, the more I have an appreciation for the many styles, forms and tree varieties.
Lately I have been enjoying taller more slender trees like yours.
Interested to see this progress in the future, thanks for posting :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate its hard to get good natural pics as you said . Most are shaped like pine tree's in Bonsai . I watched those Yanky Gator Goons last night just to look at the tree's in the swamps and Bayou , then hit this bugger this morning . I have had issues with google for some time , so i gave up searching for pics and styles .

Cheers Alpine
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I like it Alpine.
Nice result so far and a good progression as always.

Will be even better given some time..
Cheers,
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Qitianlong
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: n/a

Post by Qitianlong »

Love those knees!! Gotta work out how to do that...
"Step by step walk the thousand mile path" Musashi - Book of 5 Rings
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Biocs , its progressing nicely as planned , with ramification on top it will be a very nice looking natural Bayou tree .

Hi Qitianlong , mate they tell me the Yanks try to achieve knee's on there big Swamp Cypress Bonsai but i have never seen any pics of them . These were made in Australia , Notch this one up for Ausbonsai :aussie: :aussie: :aussie: and a little Alpineart ingenuity .

Cheers Guys .Alpine
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

alpineart wrote:I watched those Yanky Gator Goons last night just to look at the tree's in the swamps and Bayou , then hit this bugger this morning .
Cheers Alpine
Yeah I have done that too just to look at the environment...it is stunning.
I also seem to look at trees even when I am watching a movie :palm:
Have you seen that long haired moss that hangs from trees in areas of the U.S. ? Don't know what it is called but the first time I became aware of it it was on a tree in the background of a movie scene and I thought it was the trees foliage :lost:
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate i'm always looking at the background /backdrops as most movies don't interest me , not real keen on the idiot box . I have seem that moss blowing in the breeze . I have seen a plant at Bunnings for around $30 not air fern its a moss type foliage silver grey in colour and a living plant very close to the mosses in the swamps/ Bayou's . I will return one day at get the name to do some research on it when Google starts functioning properly .

Probably way too hot here for it, but i could make a purpose built shelter just to grow it along with the Swampy . This trainer is well and truly over potted , but it's still in the development stage and that means root run and plenty of it . With some serious ramification in the canopy it will definitely look more natural .

Cheers Alpine
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by bki »

is it spanish moss?
more trees.....
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dario »

Yeah as the foliage develops this will get much more refined etc and I look forward to seeing it.
Interesting re the moss you saw at Bunnings, let me know if you do find it again.
Good luck with google!
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi bki , thanks for the ID on the moss , it's the same as Bunnings had at Wangaratta .

Hi Dario , the moss was in the garden section where the Bromeliads are housed . I intend to drape some over this in a few years time when it is displayed be it the local show or here at home .

Cheers Guys .Alpine
Barry1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Barry1 »

Cheers Alpine for a very informative thread ... what would be really helpful as well would be a guide to working with Swamp Cypress eg Best time to repot ,prune etc
These trees would have done well up here in Bundy during the floods , most of the place looked like a massive swamp

Cheers
Barry
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Barry1 , mate these are deciduous down here so they are root worked in winter or the dormant period , they may retain the foliage up there but no doubt they would be worked in Winter . I have killed a few playing havoc with the roots during the growing season . Hard pruning and trimming can be done in winter , during the growing season the foliage can be trimmed to induce side shoots . Down here they drop most of the current seasons new growth so i hoping by trimming the foliage constantly they will of course thicken enough to retain some of the secondary growth there for improving the ramification .

They can be air layered quite easily . The problem with layering is the thick bark on smaller material can be 2/3 the thickness of the wood . A wide ring bark and wire tourniquet is successful but the trunk / branch needs bracing as the wind can snap the layer off .

My layer was blown off , fortunately it had a few roots and i managed to grow it on . This layer while it has a good root mass is very slow compared to seed grown material and all the major branches died off and new foliage grew from the trunk . Soft wood and semi hardwood cuttings can be taken in early Spring /Summer , i'm going to try a few now to see if they take , hormone powder/jel is recommended . These should be pushed into a 50/50 sand and peat mix and kept moist but not wet or they rot quickly , dappled light but not full sun until the actually sprout new growth and they are growing well .

All mine spend their time constantly in a water bath which is maintained half the depth of the pots . Bloody shame about all the water up that way , could do with a few inches down here .

Cheers Alpine
Barry1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Barry1 »

Thanks for the info mate , the devastation up here is unbelievable it's like being in a war zone ... a lot of people don't know about the 9 tornadoes that ripped paths of destruction up here and in other parts of the Wide Bay to
The North side was hardest hit as the river carved a new path and everything in it's way was carried away including houses , one house disappeared into a 5 meter sink hole
Anyway soldier on as they say

Cheers
Barry

Return to “Deciduous”