Taxodium Distichum - Swamp Cypress

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Taxodium Distichum - Swamp Cypress

Post by melbrackstone »

I have seen big park trees go nude, but the most that usually happens is some may turn a little red. At least our figs don't need to go into frost protection, whatever frost is
Same here, although I have seen frost here....about a decade or so ago...before I had swampies. :D
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bougy , frost is something you eat off a stick when the QLD sun gets too hot , Like our Autumn colours it too comes in many colours and flavours , but you have to be careful cos it melts real quick . 8-)

Hi Mel , with our frosts comes our glorious colours followed by our winter silhouettes which can be just as spectacular as the full dressed version . Its also Mother Natures way of doing a defoliation of old leaves . :palm:

Enjoy the Qld warmth people cos its bloody cold down here . :?

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

This is an update on the bald Cypress . I need of some work but its green and growing
DSCN4221.JPG
DSCN4222.JPG
DSCN4223.JPG
this was a tube stock stick a few years ago
DSCN4224.JPG
DSCN4225.JPG
This is the first season they have been out of water . Constantly grown in a water bath completely submerged to the top of the root mass .
With the flat top there is no shooting lower down the trunk however in a water bath it throws shoots continually and has done since it began . I dont want a fat trunk but rather a slim tall flat top trunk so it will be left out of the bath .

The trunk in the 30cm red bowl has multiple shoot and has just been removed from the bath the chop top scar is healing well . Both trunks are basically the same thickness at the base at around 5 cm above the flare

The flat top is around 15 years old from tube stock and the starter is around 5-6 years old from tube stock .

Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Deciduous”