The English Elm memoirs

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

The English Elm memoirs

Post by anttal63 »

I am now gaining a fair size collection of English Elm. They are fast becoming one of my favourite trees to work with. Readilly collectable with good trunk size for everyone's taste and bark to die for. If you look hard you will even find flare, muscle and movement. Some of the best bonsai in this country are EE. Done by the one and only QV. I certainly understand why they are his favourite. This winter i will be doing alot of work on my EE. Rather than opening up a seperate thread for each tree i have thought to do them all here hence the title. Makes it easier for me to track also.
To kick it off i want to show off my latest purchase from the Bendigo show over this weekend. I normally collect EE from the wild but this baby was worth paying for and getting a head start on things. It wont take long to get a finished tree at all. It has lots of issues but that is half its attraction. Loads of character that i can enhance and design and build upon. I love the idea of Walter Pall's informal broom philosophy's, so like the rest of my EE and many other trees i have, this will be no exception :tu2:

FRONT
548365_3336903235483_1655676107_2722406_676913066_n.jpg
BACK
532154_3336907915600_1655676107_2722416_1861988487_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: The English Elm memoirs

Post by craigw60 »

Thats a tree with a bright future Tony
Craigw
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Goodmorning Antonio :wave: , i love what you've got to start with mate , very nice :beer:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

craigw60 wrote:Thats a tree with a bright future Tony
Craigw
Hasn't it just !!! Thanks mate ! :tu:
Craig wrote:Goodmorning Antonio :wave: , i love what you've got to start with mate , very nice :beer:

Good mornin mate thanks ! :tu:
Last edited by anttal63 on April 9th, 2012, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I also lusted after this tree as E.E's are my most favourite tree. I am ecstatic that you bought it though Antonio as i need another E.E like i need a hole in the head :shifty: It will reward you very quickly.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

bodhidharma wrote:I also lusted after this tree as E.E's are my most favourite tree. I am ecstatic that you bought it though Antonio as i need another E.E like i need a hole in the head :shifty: It will reward you very quickly.
Mate you have to believe that just for a moment i saw your dissapointment b4 i told you it was me that bought it and i did consider reselling it to you but after telling you i was the new owner and saw how happy you were for me i changed my mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks mate we will definately catch up this year !!! :tu:
Last edited by anttal63 on April 9th, 2012, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

WOW :o :o :o Now that is a great start to a wonderful bonsai Anton, keep us updated plz.
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

Fantastic tree mate :mrgreen: :tounge: :mrgreen: :tu2:
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

can't wait to see how you place the branches on this one ant, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your stock. this one has set the bar pretty high!
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

VelvetSicklid wrote:WOW :o :o :o Now that is a great start to a wonderful bonsai Anton, keep us updated plz.
Will do Velvet Thanks mate ! :tu:
siddhar wrote:Fantastic tree mate :mrgreen: :tounge: :mrgreen: :tu2:
Thanks mate :tu:
jarryd wrote:can't wait to see how you place the branches on this one ant, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your stock. this one has set the bar pretty high!
Thanks Jarryd i cant wait to start working on them too. Some, need carving to be done first so im not in a hurry to wire them just yet. I also did some drill and plug root grafts to some 2 years ago and cant wait to see how successful that went. Yes this ones bar is high because of its state of advancement but i have a cracker collection of EE stay tuned. :tu:
Regards Antonio:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Anttal63 , mate its good to see a purchase of some good stock .It make it a lot easier and quicker when material like this is available for . No doubt you will whip it into shape in no time .

Cheers Alpine
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

alpineart wrote:Hi Anttal63 , mate its good to see a purchase of some good stock .It make it a lot easier and quicker when material like this is available for . No doubt you will whip it into shape in no time .

Cheers Alpine

Indeed indeed thanks mate !!! :tu:
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Heres another, This one is named River side Elm 1 and was collected 4-5 years ago. As the name suggests it was collected from a river bank. It has recently been defoliated and dewired ready for some carving and a repot. Hopefully a bonsai pot if a suitable one can be found. The other pending factor will be drill and plug root grafts which were done 2 years ago and am desperately waiting to see how they have turned out. If not plan B will be Bodhi's technique.
170420121048.jpg
170420121049.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

Please make certain you take photos while it's out of the pot tony!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

paddles wrote:Please make certain you take photos while it's out of the pot tony!

Of course i will especially if i got something to sing about !!! :fc: :fc: :fc: I do have photos of the doing of the grafts will post when next have time ! :tu:
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Deciduous”