Acer palmutum group.

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Acer palmutum group.

Post by Bougy Fan »

Groups can be very hard to pull off :palm: To my eye the big tree on the left is too big in trunk girth and too close in girth to the primary tree at the front. :imo: that tree needs to be between the size of the primary tree and the thicker tree on the right and side. Other than that I love it and I really like that you haven't followed the European trend of having all the trees splay outwards at ridiculous angles :cool:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Looking forward to seeing this once you have wired Diederik.

To me, the branches on the large left hand tree look too long and out of proportion. Is this the case when viewing in person too?

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Andrew F wrote:Im curious how will you wire it, top to bottom left to right???
Standard procedure Andrew, start with the two primary trees from the bottom up and work my way around to the right. Every tree from the lowest to the highest branches.
Bougy Fan wrote:Groups can be very hard to pull off

With you on that one Tony but i have learnt a lot from my Japanese box group. The smaller trees will play catch up for the next five years and then i will evaluate it again. if i havent pulled it off i will break it up and pot them all separately.
Steven wrote:To me, the branches on the large left hand tree look too long and out of proportion. Is this the case when viewing in person too?
100% Steven and, yes, the same in 3d. The setting is a whole lot more proportionate in the flesh though.

It will take 7-10 years to get ramification and for this group to start looking the goods but i love humble beginnings.
Patience, patience, patience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I keep getting drawn to the "claw" like Nebari on the front tree.

Other than that the last photo is a cracker and I can see this one is going to look awesome in a few years when the rest of the family put on a bit of bulk and age.

Nice one Bodhi!

As always impeccable quality trees for us mere mortals to critique from behind our keyboards and poxy Bonsai collections...... (N.B. Last sentence is not reflective of all parties involved in this thread).
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Just a little update on this setting. Coming along nicely and it will be defoliated again in December and rewired. The background trees are catching up nicely (lots of feeding)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

This is developing well Bohdi . Looks really healthy ,how often do you feed it ? I don't mind the claw roots ,it anchors the tree . Not sure about the tree to the right of it though they look like they are frolicking ;) in the forest , but that is the thing about natural forests , nature does its own thing .
Cheers Sno
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Post by EdwardH »

Good looking forest. It is coming along well. The small trees on the RHS have certainly put on some growth. :clap: This makes the composition more convincing.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Sno wrote:This is developing well Bohdi . Looks really healthy ,how often do you feed it ?
Hi Sno, i am an advocate of voracious feeding and have food in my watering regime. I also believe in foliar feeding.
Sno wrote: Not sure about the tree to the right of it though they look like they are frolicking
I also get that feeling and dont have the heart to bust them up.
EdwardH wrote:Good looking forest. It is coming along well. The small trees on the RHS have certainly put on some growth. This makes the composition more convincing.
Thanks Edward, it will take time for the other trees to get more"convincing" in the setting, but it is happening at a pleasing rate.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Bodhi,
That's coming along very nicely mate. If I may make a suggestion. What do you think of the tree on the right being wired out into the space?
DSCF4088-2.jpg
Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on October 25th, 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Ray M wrote:What do you think of the tree on the right being wired out into the space?
Excellent observation Ray and i concur. i will make it happen as it will not be difficult. Thanks, always nice to see through others eyes :tu2:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

This group has powered along and was defoliated and wired as was part of the plan. It will now be pruned ready for a repot. I had some wire bite in but i am pretty sure it will grow out. I will also move the tree as suggested by Raym.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Those 2 smaller trees behind the large one in the centre make the planting a little confusing :imo:

Could you shuffle them out a little so you can easily distinguish all 3? Or is it ment to be like that?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I played with some light again today as it is raining here :tu: YAAYYY!!! The group will get a repot this year and once the leaves are off i will see how much it has progressed. The smaller trees have put on quite a bit of weight and the canopy is starting to come together. The second highest point is where i want the canopy to flow down and is still a few years off yet, but coming together. Enjoy the colour.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

bodhidharma wrote:I played with some light again today as it is raining here :tu: YAAYYY!!! The group will get a repot this year and once the leaves are off i will see how much it has progressed. The smaller trees have put on quite a bit of weight and the canopy is starting to come together. The second highest point is where i want the canopy to flow down and is still a few years off yet, but coming together. Enjoy the colour.
Great composition.

May I ask whether you changed camera settings at all or was it just the light source being changed? Also, what camera settings did you use?

Cheers,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Bodhi,
The colours are looking good. I agree with your choice with the lighting of the first pic mate. The lighting is not obvious and blends in very well, no harsh shadows. Looks good. :tu:

Regards Ray

Return to “Deciduous”