Hawthorn from the wild

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Hawthorn from the wild

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

As part of my talk on Saturday at BBTH (Simplicity, Complexity and Serendipity) I used three Hawthorn that had been dug from the ground about 5 years ago. My main point in the talk was not to over simplify your trees; leave plenty of branches to diffuse the vigour of the tree and not eventually get over thickened branches that would then be difficult to correct.

The Serendipity part was to leave interesting bits on the tree; the little trunk sprout off to the left for instance.

The one below was the best of the 3 in terms of getting it into a bonsai pot and with a nice flat root system.(Reciprocating Saw used just after it was dug up).

I am currently rewiring it and will post when finished.
Hawthorn 1st year in pot.JPG
Let grow during spring.JPG
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grant Bowie on June 11th, 2013, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: camellia
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: National,Illawarra,Sakura,

Re: Hawthorn from the wild

Post by ric »

Thanks, Grant
It was good to see progress steps on Aussie Yamadori and to hear your reasoning . Your demo. added greatly to the mix that Bonsai By the Harbour serves up and highlights our goal to showcase local talent.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

ric wrote:Thanks, Grant
It was good to see progress steps on Aussie Yamadori and to hear your reasoning . Your demo. added greatly to the mix that Bonsai By the Harbour serves up and highlights our goal to showcase local talent.
Gee, Thanks DAD!

But I agree it was a great weekend.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Here is the tree after 2 years of growth and a wiring. Lots of complexity and no over thickening.
IMG_5267.JPG
Hawthorn 1st year in pot.JPG
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks Grant, a very interesting demonstration and talk.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

What a transformation in 2 years. Thanks for sharing.

Josh
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

If you are interested there are a few photos of the demonstration on my blog. The link is below.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

I like the little Son and Daughter trunks Grant. Actually I like the tree too.
Have you had them flower yet?
Is this the species that gets the nasty thorns?

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Steven wrote:I like the little Son and Daughter trunks Grant. Actually I like the tree too.
Have you had them flower yet?
Is this the species that gets the nasty thorns?

Regards,
Steven
hi Steven.

It did have thorns and I scraped myself a few times.

When I rewired it I removed all of the thorns first.

Not flowered yet.

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Being a wirer myself i love the structural arrangement you have applied with the wiring. A less experienced person that yourself would have cut some off but you have manipulated them splendidly to suit the tree. Always best to wire everything as we can always get rid of them later, although it is in development stage it is already starting to look harmonious.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Post by Damian79 »

Hi Grant
What a great looking tree. I have learnt something very simple from this post and that is its always better to leave and wire more than less. (Thanks must go to you too Bodhi for mentioning that).
I do however have one question.
Grant Bowie wrote:The one below was the best of the 3 in terms of getting it into a bonsai pot and with a nice flat root system.(Reciprocating Saw used just after it was dug up).
Do you mean you cut the roots flat? and if so, how much did did you remove?
I have a couple of these soaking in seasol at the moment that had to come out of a friends yard( it was either me or the trash pack)
and the roots are thick and random.
I have seen picks of people "flattening" off the bottom of Olives before they go into a grow box, is this what you mean.
Cheers
Damian
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

I am little bit confused here. I have not reached advanced stage of styling branches yet.
I love your tree and has lots of character, and it is so well styled. My question is:
I read and read, but have not done much yet, But find lots of conflicting info.
Some say You let a branch grow , 8-10 internodes (depending on the position and condition of the branch) and then you chop back hard. Some say thicken the branch first almost as thick as you want it and then cut...Like leaders? Some just let the branch grow as long as needed and even start growing secondary branches after that.
Which method did you use?
Do you consider your branches thick enough and if not how do you plan to thicken them? Will they thicken on their own from now on, as the tree grows, or you will use escape branches or some other method.
I can not figure out which method is the best since I dont have experience yet. So far I have just let my branches grow unrestricted, just wired, to thicken. The tree looks ugly, while yours looks beautiful.
Which method is the best...and which method is not so best but makes the tree look better while you are styling it, but you achieve the same result at the end.
This is the tree that made me to ask this questions:
Very nice tree with thin branches.
Last edited by Neli on June 14th, 2013, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:Being a wirer myself i love the structural arrangement you have applied with the wiring. A less experienced person that yourself would have cut some off but you have manipulated them splendidly to suit the tree. Always best to wire everything as we can always get rid of them later, although it is in development stage it is already starting to look harmonious.
Yes it is very difficult at an early stage to make it look realistic and harmonious, but time will take care of that if you have done the early work diligently and creatively.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Damian79 wrote:Hi Grant
What a great looking tree. I have learnt something very simple from this post and that is its always better to leave and wire more than less. (Thanks must go to you too Bodhi for mentioning that).
I do however have one question.
Grant Bowie wrote:The one below was the best of the 3 in terms of getting it into a bonsai pot and with a nice flat root system.(Reciprocating Saw used just after it was dug up).
Do you mean you cut the roots flat? and if so, how much did did you remove?
I have a couple of these soaking in seasol at the moment that had to come out of a friends yard( it was either me or the trash pack)
and the roots are thick and random.
I have seen picks of people "flattening" off the bottom of Olives before they go into a grow box, is this what you mean.
Cheers
Damian
The trees came out of the ground fairly easily but I cut off about 70 or 80% of the roots in a single flat cut across the bottom once I got them home. All three have survived but it may have been a bit harsh initially as it took about 4 years for the other two to firm up in the pots and grow good roots. They were in deep plastic pots for the first 2 years and that may have been a mistake and could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Neli wrote:I am little bit confused here. I have not reached advanced stage of styling branches yet.
I love your tree and has lots of character, and it is so well styled. My question is:
I read and read, but have not done much yet, But find lots of conflicting info.
Some say You let a branch grow , 8-10 internodes (depending on the position and condition of the branch) and then you chop back hard. Some say thicken the branch first almost as thick as you want it and then cut...Like leaders? Some just let the branch grow as long as needed and even start growing secondary branches after that.
Which method did you use?
Do you consider your branches thick enough and if not how do you plan to thicken them? Will they thicken on their own from now on, as the tree grows, or you will use escape branches or some other method.
I can not figure out which method is the best since I dont have experience yet. So far I have just let my branches grow unrestricted, just wired, to thicken. The tree looks ugly, while yours looks beautiful.
Which method is the best...and which method is not so best but makes the tree look better while you are styling it, but you achieve the same result at the end.
This is the tree that made me to ask this questions:
Very nice tree with thin branches.
OK, a huge set of questions.

First I already had the trunk as thick as I wanted it and I believed the taper could be "cut" into the trunk by removing original branches and trunks etc. There were no side branches worth keeping that low on the trunks so I had no original, flexible braches to start with. Rather than leave a stub to sprout in one or two locations I removed everything.

After 2 years of growth I then just wired the branches I wanted to keep into position(removed some that were either over thick or too many from the one point) and then probably followed the allow to grow a bit and cut back method you mention above.

From now on I will keep allowing the branches to grow in spring and always cut out any branches or branchlets where there are more than 2 branches from one point. This will cause back budding and will slowly build in taper to each branch. Do not keep constantly cutting back to nothing as you keep losing ramification. The more growth points on the tree or branch the slower each one thickens and this way the tree becomes more refined over time.

All of the techniques you list above work(see thread Black cat/White cat) so you pick one for you tree and follow it.

I will post shots of the other two trees so that you can see where I started from and my choices. I have however already done some light thinning at the recent Bonsai By the Harbour,

Grant

Return to “Deciduous”