Hawthorn from the wild

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Re: Hawthorn from the wild

Post by Damian79 »

Hi Grant
Ok thanks ,that's what I thought you meant but wanted to be sure. That's is what ill do I think.
cheers
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Hi Grant,
I understood a bit. Thanks!
Quote:

From now on I will keep allowing the branches to grow in spring and always cut out any branches or branchlets where there are more than 2 branches from one point. This will cause back budding and will slowly build in taper to each branch. Do not keep constantly cutting back to nothing as you keep losing ramification. The more growth points on the tree or branch the slower each one thickens and this way the tree becomes more refined over time.
You said You will let the branches grow in spring. For how long, when will You cut them and how much?
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Grant Bowie wrote:...(they) could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.
I used to think wiring trees into pots was a waste of time but have been doing it properly for about 3-4 years now and have found this one technique to be the most beneficial techniques that I use in bonsai.

Interested to hear others thoughts???
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Scott Roxburgh wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:...(they) could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.
I used to think wiring trees into pots was a waste of time but have been doing it properly for about 3-4 years now and have found this one technique to be the most beneficial techniques that I use in bonsai.

Yes, very important when you are establishing a tree.

Grant
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Grant Bowie wrote: The trees came out of the ground fairly easily but I cut off about 70 or 80% of the roots in a single flat cut across the bottom once I got them home. All three have survived but it may have been a bit harsh initially as it took about 4 years for the other two to firm up in the pots and grow good roots. They were in deep plastic pots for the first 2 years and that may have been a mistake and could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.Grant
Hi Grant, lovely Hawthorn!
Could you please elaborate as to why you suspect a deep bonsai pot would have been better than the deep plastic pot?
...(they) could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.
Was it to do with wiring the tree into the pot, or something else?...I ask because I thought the tree could also have been wired into a plastic pot too.
Cheers, Dario.
PS It is worth checking out Watto's AB Blog to see the work Grant did to it at BBTH, as there are a couple of really nice pics of the bark detail and the age of the trunk (click on the pics to enlarge them)...https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto/?p=1042
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Neli wrote:Hi Grant,
Quote:

From now on I will keep allowing the branches to grow in spring and always cut out any branches or branchlets where there are more than 2 branches from one point. This will cause back budding and will slowly build in taper to each branch. Do not keep constantly cutting back to nothing as you keep losing ramification. The more growth points on the tree or branch the slower each one thickens and this way the tree becomes more refined over time.

You said You will let the branches grow in spring. For how long, when will You cut them and how much?

Hi, I will try what I do with Ash; that is you cut back the stronger ones once they have reached say 10 or more leaves and leave the weaker ones to catch up. By the time you tip prune or cut back the weak ones; the stronger ones will probably need a second trim but you could cut back the stronger ones harder at this time(back beyond where you cut it the first time for instance)

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Dario wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote: The trees came out of the ground fairly easily but I cut off about 70 or 80% of the roots in a single flat cut across the bottom once I got them home. All three have survived but it may have been a bit harsh initially as it took about 4 years for the other two to firm up in the pots and grow good roots. They were in deep plastic pots for the first 2 years and that may have been a mistake and could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.Grant
Hi Grant, lovely Hawthorn!
Could you please elaborate as to why you suspect a deep bonsai pot would have been better than the deep plastic pot?
...(they) could have gone into deep bonsai pots straightaway and be wired in.
Was it to do with wiring the tree into the pot, or something else?...I ask because I thought the tree could also have been wired into a plastic pot too.
Cheers, Dario.
PS It is worth checking out Watto's AB Blog to see the work Grant did to it at BBTH, as there are a couple of really nice pics of the bark detail and the age of the trunk (click on the pics to enlarge them)...https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto/?p=1042
OK; the deep plastic pot was huge and without the other 70% of the root system(that I cut off) it was probably just too big and the tree sort of drowned in the excess soil and water.

The tree was stable in the deep plastic pot but would have benefited from wiring in if it had gone into a deep bonsai pot. A deep bonsai pot is still relatively shallow if you know what I mean.

Grant
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Grant Bowie wrote:
Neli wrote:Hi Grant,
Quote:

Hi, I will try what I do with Ash; that is you cut back the stronger ones once they have reached say 10 or more leaves and leave the weaker ones to catch up. By the time you tip prune or cut back the weak ones; the stronger ones will probably need a second trim but you could cut back the stronger ones harder at this time(back beyond where you cut it the first time for instance)

Grant
Thank You darlin!
Now that makes a lots of sense to me!
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Thanks Grant.
Cheers, Dario.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Grant Bowie wrote:
Scott Roxburgh wrote:

Yes, very important when you are establishing a tree.

Grant
I consider it essential if you are using inorganic substrates to pot in, they have very little weight and holding power.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

IMG_5285 - Copy.JPG
Cratageous.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

I asked Watto for the pic of one of my Hawthorn at BBTH and it is below before and after work.

I had to grind out a very heavy root at the front of the tree, a small trunk near the apex and a few other places as well.

Then wired and it will do for now.

After about 2 years of ramification it should be OK.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Before.jpg
During.jpg
Hawthorn No 3.

The worst of the lot from root system and some branches failed to proceed on the right hand side.

Still to finish but hopefully over the weekend.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Thanks to Watto for this pic as well of tree no 1 before trimming, thinning, selection, unwiring, rewiring, defoliation and de thorning.
No 1 before trim and rewire.jpg
Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Update,

Today after trimming back the portions of foliage/branching that have not stopped growing and set terminal spike; this is to encourage flowering in the future. some of these will be shortened later in autumn.

The growth that was going to keep extending was shortened to encourage more ramification and back budding.
November 2013 after trimming non flowering spikes1.JPG
November 2013 after trimming non flowering spikes2.JPG
Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on November 3rd, 2013, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”