American Hornbeam-Carpinus Caroliniana

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

American Hornbeam-Carpinus Caroliniana

Post by alpineart »

These are a few of the hornbeam i have be working for the last 3 seasons ,
P1070522_00.JPG
P1070523_00.JPG
P1070524_00.JPG
Seed grown , they were wired in their second season , flat cut like an olive then planted out . . I then selectively root pruned and trimmed them last winter and returned them to a new grow bed . More than happy with the Narebri at the point after a basic trim
P1070528.JPG
P1070533.JPG
, however i think i can improve them a bit more . A good wash of the root mass
P1070529.JPG
I have then cut the roots back hard again this time removing all the major roots
P1070534.JPG
and leaving a selected few
P1070530.JPG
. Some of these had the sacrifice branches removed during the growing season while others were left untouched . I have again selectively trimmed them for the final time then planted them out into a re-worked grow bed
P1070531.JPG
. Time will tell if the results will be as good as this season .

These are 2 year old seed grown stock , they will be treated differently to the above stock and have the roots trimmed only and flattened out during planting . No room in the old bed so i will have to knock up another growing area .
P1070532.JPG
All of the smaller trunks here had wire place around the trunks the rest had a hook and hold wire the aid movement . The correctly wired trunks are half the size of the manipulated trunks so i have learned that wiring does slow these bugger's down by at least 50 % . Better movement is obtained with good wiring at the expense of girth .

All of these will get a basic wire to help continue the movement up to the apexes while dormant . Surprisingly the buds have began to burst as they were sitting in the sun today .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Re: American Hornbeam-Carpinus Caroliniana

Post by Meagi »

These are looking real nice mate great size for 3 seasons
There is some real rippers in there .
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Meagi , mate they didn't look as good in the ground as they were set little deep and the weeds concealed them , I have planted them out higher this time around , if they begin to settle i will top dress with compost . The bases are about 40mm with trunks from 20-30mm thick .

The 2 year olds will get there heads up quick without a flat cut like the first batch , so they should catch up to the 3 year olds , here's hoping anyway . I should be fit enough to keep a close eye on all the material , after last seasons effort which was look from a distance .

Cheers Alpine .
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond

Post by boom64 »

Hi Alpine, Great little collection you have. Hope they do the right thing for you...Interesting what you say about wiring slowing down girth, wonder if this holds for all species. Regards John.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

boom64 wrote:Hi Alpine, Great little collection you have. Hope they do the right thing for you...Interesting what you say about wiring slowing down girth, wonder if this holds for all species. Regards John.
Hi Boom64 , i cant say i have come across this issue in any other material i have treated as in controlled trials . Even the root mass on the wired trunks was smaller , all grown in the same beds and water fertilizer was the same .

The first batch ie 3 year old's were all wired the same , the bigger trunks had the sacrifice branches the slightly smaller trunks had balanced growth .

The young ones will run riot for possibly 2 seasons depending on where i place the new grow bed as the roots grow up to 600mm either way of the trunk .A wide 2 meter bed would be ideal but with 20 odd trunks it would have to be at least 20 meter's long , way too much digging and i don't have hired help or a rotary hoe .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well i had a bright idea to remove the Japanese Maples
P1070535.JPG
and extend the grow bed to accommodate the rest of the Hornbeams . I dug down where the walkway was and back filled with the composted soil . The clay/shale was utilized in the front of the bed
P1070536.JPG
, now its 1.0 wide rather than 600mm . This was leveled out
P1070543.JPG
and the smaller hornbeams were planted back
P1070546.JPG

I found another bundle laying around so i have made up 10 root over rock /root on rock configurations
P1070547.JPG
P1070548.JPG
P1070549.JPG
. These will grow downwards so the room won't be required for the root spread . To top off the day i managed to rip into a few Japanese Maple and plant them out
P1070550.JPG
P1070551.JPG
P1070552.JPG
P1070553.JPG
P1070554.JPG
. Making progress slow and steady .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

That third Japanese maple is a ripper mate ...
I've been to yours a 1/2 dozen times and yet missed so much you've got so much to look at and like mate
Amazing all your efforts and its really starting to show !
Cheers
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Meagi , those weeds conceal the truth . Even i don't see too much from a distance , not until you dig them out do they show the true results . I found 6 JBP covered in a carpet of creeping weed , obviously i wasn't in a good frame of mind when i planted them .

Cheers Alpine
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, good to see you posting again, I assume your leg is now much better than it was :yes:
How long did it take for that second maple that is fused to get to this stage?...and were they planted as seedlings or were they a little older before you plaited/braided them ?
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate the legs still fractured and it doesn't look like it will fuse completely in another 6-8 months by then it should be good.

The fused Japanese Maple is now 2 years/seasons plaited with 2-3mm 1 yo whips , then planted into a grow bed . Becuase the whips are not as easy to work with as Tridents it's twice as thick in width as it is in depth . This and the big multi trunk Japanese maple were put together at the same time , both are doing well . I did lose 1 but then i lost a lot of material with this injury .

Got myself a new labourer for the rest of the grow beds , its too bloody hard trying to dig them over several times with a shovel and not load bear the leg too much for too long . Still got 2 arms 2 feet and a heart beat , might not work too well but i consider myself lucky .

I met a young man tonight with no legs and by the heck he inspired me beyond comprehension , i will never complain about my injury again , makes me fell very blessed i just broke one of mine .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

I have decided to re-use a big tray /dish {weight Issues} and this is the best I could come up with . Needing some room in the grow beds as well I ripped a few Hornbeam ROR trunks out
P1130124.JPG
P1130126.JPG
P1130128.JPG
P1130130.JPG
P1130131.JPG
P1130132.JPG
. I managed to find 4 larger ones and utilized a smaller trunk and added a rock to it .A quick trim and positioned into the tray
P1130134.JPG
after back filling they were re-trimmed
P1130136.JPG
P1130137.JPG
P1130138.JPG
P1130139.JPG
wiring will be done hopefully before bud burst .

Cheers Alpineart
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

Cool group!
I like the sense of movement.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Thymetraveller , mate these will improve with some wire on them and another trim , its good to start getting a few out of the ground and into pots . I have quite a few left to dig and hope to put a starter clump style together , 10 trunks in 2 pots is better than another 10 tree's in 10 pots , more room on the benches and in the grow beds .

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is the last of the hornbeams dug this morning
P1130141.JPG
.A quick trim
P1130142.JPG
and arrangement
P1130144.JPG
then into the pot
P1130149.JPG
P1130150.JPG
P1130151.JPG
P1130152.JPG
another trim and its done and dusted . A clump style forest has been in the pipeline for some time , eventually these bases should fuse together given a few years of growth .

Cheers . Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This was chopped back to 2 fine shoots , last in the line of Hornbeams here so a little extra reduction was done
P1130162.JPG
P1130163.JPG
. It has a 60mm base which should make for a nice sumo shohin if it grows.

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Deciduous”