Chinese Elm root cuttings and air layers

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Chinese Elm root cuttings and air layers

Post by alpineart »

Inspired by Craigw60's post on his Elm's from cutting's , i thought i would give a few a go :reading: . These are the root cutting from a few Elms i acquired for a wind break and to help with the radiant heat here in Summer , that's my excuse anyway ;) . These are from 3 trunks , i purchase 5 trees as a job lot
P1070855.JPG
P1070863.JPG
and have planted them already , well i put them in pots and boxes just so they can be moved around
P1070869.JPG
P1070870.JPG
P1070872.JPG
P1070871.JPG
to serve there purpose to keep the heat off Karens Anigozanthos-Kangaroo Paws garden bed :mrgreen: and hopefully protect the Tridents in the front grow bed :lost: . All up i managed to salvage 75 nice pieces like these
P1070866.JPG
, :o the rest of these
P1070867.JPG
were just thrown and scattered onto a fresh dug area and covered , if the shoot well i guess i will have to pot them up . 8-) Now they are a bit leggy so rather than just prune them back i have suggested to Karen that i could layer them off, at least 50 odd at best , that way they will stay the same height over the hottest months and shade her garden . As usual she thought it was a good idea . :whistle:

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on December 12th, 2013, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Change topic name to reflect topic
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Chinese Elm root cutting

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine
I haven't tried root cuttings from a Chinese elm yet but I think I will give it a go now after seeing Craigw60's rippers and these ones you have just started.
You have some really interesting shapes there and I will be very interested to see them in another year or so :tu2:
Will you be checking the ones with wire on them to monitor the swelling etc, or will this add to their interest if the wire digs in a bit?
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate i have quite a few small root cuttings kicking around , most have been used in Penjing or Root over Rock . I did loose i lot last year but they where only 10-15mm thick roots .

These are to die for , the biggest chunk is close too 200mm in diameter . The wire can stay on to help the roots fuse together , the ones that don't fuse together will make for some very nice exposed root , Penjing or hollow trunk type trees .With 70 odd pieces there is bound to be a variety of shapes and styles .

I will set up some of the layers today on my day off , after i go back to bed for breakfast .

Cheers Alpine
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Now they are a bit leggy so rather than just prune them back i have suggested to Karen that i could layer them off, at least 50 odd at best , that way they will stay the same height over the hottest months and shade her garden . As usual she thought it was a good idea . :whistle:
Alpine you are all heart. Fancy growing all that bonsai suitable stock just to shade your missus's garden. There could be a nomination for hubby of the year here :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

they will make excellent trees one day Alpine. I wish more people would try this technique for turning root cuttings into great growing stock.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

They are bigger than I realised, just looked at the pic again.
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bougy , mate the things i do for the wife would have to get me a nomination for hubby of the hour, that's 1 hour i'm asleep . Karens excited that her Kangaroo Paws won't get burnt to a crisp this year . If i do this to all those shade trees they will fit nicely over her garden bed and i will end up with 100 plus trainers to play havoc with . I got a bit carried away here with 30 layers
P1070879.JPG
but i just can't seem to bring myself to prune them back yet , under supervision from the Bride :wave: .

Hi Brian , its the topic from CraigW60 that motivated this latest trial . I had a few others from a grafted trunk set into the terrace , but not as keen as i am with this bunch .They should make for some interesting stock in the years to come .

Hi Dario , thats a Silicon/No more gaps tube at 50mm diameter so they are quite impressive as root cuttings .

Cheers Guys Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on September 1st, 2013, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Here is a couple of large root cuttings 40-50mm thick that have began to sprout just 6 weeks after i put them into the grow bed
P1080150_00.JPG
P1080151_00.JPG
. These were set around 100-150mm out of the ground in order to get some warmth around the bark , the others are set close to ground level and are rolling up under the bark and beginning to swell . I dare say in another few weeks there will be many more shooting up .

Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on September 24th, 2013, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAUL2229
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by PAUL2229 »

looking good Alpine

I took some elm root cuttings that are much thinner than yours and they are starting to bud now as well.

also had success with a crab apple root cutting that was taken in winter.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

PAUL2229 wrote:looking good Alpine

I took some elm root cuttings that are much thinner than yours and they are starting to bud now as well.

also had success with a crab apple root cutting that was taken in winter.
Hi Mate , all the various crab apples i have trimmed over the last couple of years grow well from root cutting , they are so prevalent they look like noxious weeds, absolutely everywhere in the grow beds . Cant tell which is which now until later when the grow somewhat as i have numerous with different leaves .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

With the weather heating up i have decided to remove the layers
P1080696.JPG
P1080695.JPG
and plant them out into the ground
P1080697.JPG
.From the 70 set 56 have made it this far . I removed 20 yesterday and 36 today and yes
P1080698.JPG
there are always a few failures but that's bonsai
P1080699.JPG
P1080700.JPG
P1080701.JPG
.I'm very happy with the new stock to play with next season , many have excellent movement , utilizing the fork of each branch to produce the desirable movement and taper .
P1080702.JPG
Now all i need is to slip them into the grow beds somewhere , and start the next set of layers on the trunks . I estimate another 40 layers could be set rather than just hack the tree's back to a suitable trunk line , keeping in mind Karen wants some shade for the front garden :whistle: . .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Chinese Elm root cuttings and air layers

Post by alpineart »

Well there is at least 30
P1080703.JPG
of the root cutting's
P1080704.JPG
growing amongst the material in the grow beds
P1080706.JPG
. The big sumo root has struck this week
P1080705.JPG
so they are still thinking about shooting , got to be happy with the results on this lot .

Cheers Alpine.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These are the mix of root cuttings and layers from the 5 main trunk
P1100749.JPG
. Some have developed quite well others have struggled , numerous died . All the survivors were trimmed and placed into a new location in a re-worked grow bed
P1100753.JPG
P1100754.JPG
There is a few different configurations here from single trunks , multi trunks and turtle back .

Cheers . Alpineart
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Alpine ,Great work as usual , like getting a present, you never know what you will get .Hope they all power on .Cheers John.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Boom , there certainly is a mixed bag /lucky dip in here . They should do well in this grow bed with a different soil blend than last year .

Cheers .Alpine

Return to “Deciduous”