English Oak -Quercus Robur

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

English Oak -Quercus Robur

Post by alpineart »

This is my latest project still under wraps ;) I purchased this for small change along with numerous others in a must have deal to be had . I have been on the lookout for a trunk like this for many years , its not a chop top but a naturally grown multi leader trunk .
P1090204.JPG
The trunk itself is is over 50mm however it had roots coming out just below the branches .I trimmed the smaller ones off and kept the larger ones and placed a split pot around the base in order to age the trunk but also to keep the roos alive to help feed the canopy . Originally it had 14 leaders creating a reverse taper so i removed 5 larger shoots/branches and wired the remaining shoots down as base branches . This is its first season since purchasing it dormant in early spring 2013 . With plenty of years to go before i class it as a bonsai but i think this one will make it all my other gave up after a couple of years growing . The pot is a 550mm x 350mm oval training pot , full of roots :yes: the raised black pot appears to be quite firm indicating it too has good root mass feeding the leaders .
P1090199.JPG
P1090200.JPG
P1090201.JPG
P1090202.JPG
The tree is 1100mm wide 550mm deep and 650mm high . There is plenty of new buds appearing up the main leader and will be selectively rubbed off in winter . Another update will be posted come dormancy when it will be root pruned and tucked back into the same pot .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: English Oak -Quercus Robur

Post by Brian »

I never had much luck growing oak as bonsai Alpine.

They can get sooty mould on the leaves and its difficult to reduce its leaves to an acceptable size for bonsai. Good luck with it.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Brian , mate i have had a few goes from seed and collected material with and eventually they all died . I have managed to reduce the leaf size with plenty of foliage but its difficult to maintain it . This was grown from seed in a 45 litre bag so it a good thing it as made it through the exteme heat I had up here .

I'm planning on a big tree around the 750-800mm mark in height and about 1 metre wide , hoping this will keep the leaves in proportion a little better .There has been plent of new side branches grown this season so hopefully next season will be even better .

Cheers Alpine
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Just another smaaallll project again Alps.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , i have tried these as small trees under 500mm and they just dont like my methods so i thought i would give this one a better chance . A few years in this pot will give a good thick narebri while keeping plenty of feeder roots in there as well .

A mistake i made numerous times was under potting Oaks , slipping this into this pot from a 45 litre bag was a challenge in itself . I'm glad it survived now its time to let it grow and trim and wire it continually .

Cheers Alpine
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

alpineart wrote:Hi Bodhi , i have tried these as small trees under 500mm and they just dont like my methods so i thought i would give this one a better chance . A few years in this pot will give a good thick narebri while keeping plenty of feeder roots in there as well .

A mistake i made numerous times was under potting Oaks , slipping this into this pot from a 45 litre bag was a challenge in itself . I'm glad it survived now its time to let it grow and trim and wire it continually .

Cheers Alpine
Interesting comments Alpine. I have 3 oaks I collected a while back I'll start working on after this winter. Was planning a smaller tree but might have to rethink that idea. Also your saying don't under pot. Is this first time potting or for their entire life to pot into larger pot?
Will be watching this one with interest.

Josh.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Josh , i have struggled to keep mine healthy in smaller pots during the growing stages in early development even from acorns . I will be keeping this one in this pot at least for a couple of seasons , then begin to gradually downsize once the basic development of the upper main branches has been achieved . This has been closely watched and wire twice over this season , take your eye of it and it had numerous shoots , many in the wrong place so i was rubbing the buds off keeping only the ones required for the framework . Its pot bound now so it will get a good root prune and hopefully i will get it back into this pot with room to spare .I may replace the black pot depending on how the reverse taper is and if it has improved the trunk and base to something more desirable .

Cheers Alpine
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Thanks Alpine. Will be interesting to see where you take this one. Please keep us all posted as to it development.

Josh.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This had a workover in the root department today . I removed the split pot and it has worked a treat producing a very healthy root mass so the old roots were removed
P1090456.JPG
P1090459.JPG
and the trunk re-potted back into the same pot
P1090461.JPG
P1090460.JPG
for another season . Plenty of buds the need rubbing off and some wiring is needed to reposition the branches and trunk line , hoping for another good season .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arklan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by arklan »

I killed an oak with power feed :crybye:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice roots Alps.
arklan wrote:I killed an oak with power feed :crybye:
Curl grubs got mine. Now I use Diatomite :-)
It was a tree grown in a large ceramic pot on my balcony for 20 years and what started me into Bonsai.
Lost it a few years after I started and now have 2 in the ground and 2 collected ones in pots. Both about 300mm tall so smaller trees.

Never had issues trying to reduce the leaf size on my original one, so will be interesting to see what happens this time round.

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on August 7th, 2014, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Funny you updated this now. I saw these trees today and thought of this tree.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Josh.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi arklan , mate i dont know how you managed that , i cant say i have killed anything with powerfeed. I have over fertilized and burnt the roots with Rustica , but powerfeed is not that strong . If following the directions on the bottle its almost impossible to kill anything .

Hi kc , the new roots are a treat , wasn't expecting such a good result from an Oak .

Hi Josh , maybe i needed a little bit more inspiration and motivation . I love the Avenue very similar to the Heritage tree's up here .

Cheers Guys . Alpine
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

This was mine and was the runner up in the NBPC competition. The leaves do reduce in size.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=1192

Regards,

Peter
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is taken shape nicely
P1120174.JPG
P1120173.JPG
.Plenty of new shoots along the branches and leader , look forward to trimming this over the growing season to see if it pushes smaller leaves and new shoots .

Cheers . Alpineart

Return to “Deciduous”