New Trident Maple from bonsaisensation

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

New Trident Maple from bonsaisensation

Post by Josh »

On my visit to bonsaisensation, I picked up this trident maple. Got the base for something very nice. Got a bit of growing and development but I like the start it has.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
Looking forward to working on this one.

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Josh on April 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: New Trident Maple from bonsaisensation

Post by lackhand »

Looks like a great start, Josh. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I've seen a lot of nice stuff coming from Bonsai Sensation, sure wish I could drop in! :aussie:
Cheers, Karl
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives , figs
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bamboos »

Hi Josh
Looks like a terrific base :tu2: -- a great start
Steve
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I assume you are going to chop the top and make it around the trunk?

A nice compact tree will be the result there I reckon.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

Great score Josh, love the base and nebari

I picked up a Japanese maple on Friday from a nursery here that is similar in design and in a similar stage of development, I'm curious as to whether you plan on feeding and letting it grow before selecting branches or if you will select branches and then work on development from there?

I'm in 2 minds with mine

Again great score

Kez
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

lackhand wrote:Looks like a great start, Josh. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I've seen a lot of nice stuff coming from Bonsai Sensation, sure wish I could drop in! :aussie:
Tien has some great stock, and I like the fact he takes the time to walk around with you and show you what he has.
bamboos wrote:Hi Josh
Looks like a terrific base :tu2: -- a great start
Steve
Hi Steve, apparently the roots continue going out under the soil so am itching to bare root in winter and see what's under there.
kcpoole wrote:I assume you are going to chop the top and make it around the trunk?

A nice compact tree will be the result there I reckon.

Ken
Hi Ken, I'll loose the small branch on the bottom left hand side in the last photo to maintain the curve in the trunk. I'll let the top grow for a little the thicken the leader and then reduce. Yes I'm planning on a shorter tree :tu:
kez wrote:Great score Josh, love the base and nebari

I picked up a Japanese maple on Friday from a nursery here that is similar in design and in a similar stage of development, I'm curious as to whether you plan on feeding and letting it grow before selecting branches or if you will select branches and then work on development from there?

I'm in 2 minds with mine

Again great score

Kez
Hi Kez, I had a good discussion on growing this tree. I will select branches and begin to wire into place, I need to cut some back and get new buds to wire down as some branches are to thick to bend and get the right angle. I will let each branch grow to thicken the branch then chop and regrow, same as you do the trunk to get size and taper. I don't want a tree with nice fine twigging right back to the trunk. Because of the thick base I want to get the branching in proportion.

Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to working with this one.
Josh
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

Good stuff josh,

When will you begin branch selection/pruning?

Kez
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Nice tree. Try and root some cuttings in spring, You might need them for root grfts to build even better nebari.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Bonsaifan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines

Post by Bonsaifan »

Nice tree. Tien is great to deal with and ive walked away with more trees than planned..great stock at good prices! Hmm maybe ill visit him again sortly for a look around :? :whistle:
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

kez wrote:Good stuff josh,

When will you begin branch selection/pruning?

Kez
Good question, I will start to choose the branches I want and wire early to get downward movement and a nice angle off the trunk. The branches that are thick will get pruned back and the smaller ones will be let go for a while to thicken.
Neli wrote:Nice tree. Try and root some cuttings in spring, You might need them for root grfts to build even better nebari.
Yes I did discuss with Tien options for rectifying roots (in relation to another tree) but this tree may need some work later on. Apparently the roots continue going outward under the soil so will bare root in winter and have a look. Good idea on the cutting Neli, hadn't thought of that.
Bonsaifan wrote:Nice tree. Tien is great to deal with and ive walked away with more trees than planned..great stock at good prices! Hmm maybe ill visit him again sortly for a look around :? :whistle:
The only disappointment I have with going to bonsaisensation is I don't have enough cash in my pocket. :whistle:

Cheers
Josh
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

A great piece of stock, with a number of trunk line options.

The one that spoke to me was that one that avoided the scar, but I also saw two others that I like.

This would be my 5 year plan as a start. Then as you get more ramification, you can aim for a broader canopy.
Josh's Trident virt.jpg
That's the main branches anyway, hopefully when you bare root, the roots are conducive to the styling.

I think 3 buds/branches are already there, but a number of them will need to be grafted (I like thread) or you might get lucky :fc: .

You lose a little of the movement, but it shouldn't grow and become an issue with a shohin.

Definitely keep this one updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Scott Roxburgh wrote:A great piece of stock, with a number of trunk line options.

The one that spoke to me was that one that avoided the scar, but I also saw two others that I like.

This would be my 5 year plan as a start. Then as you get more ramification, you can aim for a broader canopy.
Josh's Trident virt.jpg
That's the main branches anyway, hopefully when you bare root, the roots are conducive to the styling.

I think 3 buds/branches are already there, but a number of them will need to be grafted (I like thread) or you might get lucky :fc: .

You lose a little of the movement, but it shouldn't grow and become an issue with a shohin.

Definitely keep this one updated.
Thanks for the virt Scott, That's a great direction for the tree. My plan is to bare root in winter and have a look at the nebari and see what hits me. The scare is already beginning to heal over, I will curve it out a little to create a hollow but well on it's way already. I don't see the scar being an issue in the future. I like the movement in the trunk and as you say you do loose some of it from the side you picked but I don't think that is a real issue either Mmmmmm :lost: Now you got me thinking.....
I will definitely keep this updated.

Thanks
Josh
Last edited by Josh on April 29th, 2014, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Well I found a tree I think this stump would suit. Hope this is ok..all credit and rights go to Walter Pall. I found this on the net and thought it would suit my tree perfectly.
IMG_4403.PNG
What do people think.

Josh
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Josh wrote:Well I found a tree I think this stump would suit. Hope this is ok..all credit and rights go to Walter Pall. I found this on the net and thought it would suit my tree perfectly.
IMG_4403.PNG
What do people think.

Josh
Hi Josh,
This will take a number of seasons to get this ramification. If you can achieve this you would have a great little tree. :clap: :tu:

Regards Ray
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

Love the second tree better. Very elegant.

Return to “Deciduous”