ASH. making a little old tree

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ASH,CONIFER,PINES,MAPLES
Bonsai Age: 4

ASH. making a little old tree

Post by FEX »

Hi, i dug this ash in winter 2012, 1st years growth was good, second years was stunted by leaf stem eating bugs?, For the 3rd year, the tree is now in a 43 cm pot, with large holes in bottom half of pot to allow roots into the ground.this is where this tree will be documented through its journey to be a bonsai, i hope.. i'm expecting rapid growth from now on, should be interesting, i'm thinking of going the natural old tree style :lost: , not typical.The 1st branch is about 10 inches from base of pot. this is a long term project,with progression photos every year. cheers, Fex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: ASH. making a little old tree

Post by FEX »

FEX wrote:Hi, i dug this ash in winter 2012, 1st years growth was good, second years was stunted by leaf stem eating bugs?, For the 3rd year, the tree is now in a 43 cm pot, with large holes in bottom half of pot to allow roots into the ground.this is where this tree will be documented through its journey to be a bonsai, i hope.. i'm expecting rapid growth from now on, should be interesting, i'm thinking of going the natural old tree style :lost: , not typical.The 1st branch is about 10 inches from base of pot. this is a long term project,with progression photos every year. cheers, Fex
, Total height is about 10 inches to the start of the branches\trunk line,not including the little branch at the bottom,which will be used to create extra flare at the area below.thickness of base is about 3 inches, going to use walters trees as a guide, and dont forget nature too. cheers, Fex
FEX
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FEX »

Here is my ash tree so far, ready to grow some more, don't know how it will turn out yet, just going with the flow, there are lots of sacrifice branches there, just have to figure out which ones sometimes :lost: , here are the pics. any ideas welcome, basically i was thinking broom style or something like that, planning on leaving the ash in the ground till the original chop/cut is healed over completely,tree is 14 inches high from base to the chop.trunk is 4 inch thick at base.
ash 1.2017.jpg
ash 2.2017.jpg
ash 3.2017.jpg
ash 4.2017.jpg
ash 5.2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Feel free to defoliate even multiple times a year if you want to get ramification going.
Leaf size reduces well and if you chop the terminal bud you will get both back budding new branches and smaller leaves.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Deciduous”