Flat Top Bald Cypress.

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Flat Top Bald Cypress.

Post by boom64 »

Thanks for all the feedback. As Adam and Mathew have said an unusual design ,especially as we have nothing in Aus. to compare to. The Jin well still unsure of but I have a habit of procrastinating over things so probably will be there for a while .Great sketch Anthony , I am unsure about the branches ,was originally thinking of keeping them short and work on more ramification. Jinning one ,well maybe. Once again cheers for all the comments. Regards John.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Seeing that I had the camera out I thought I would update this thread .Recently cut it back pretty hard and added a little wire on a few super straight sections. The flat is slowly morphing into a slanting style ,funny how things go. Cheers John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Boom,
Nicely developed swampie you have there. Great nebari and a very natural looking jin. It's difficult to see from your photo, but the two lower brances part way up the trunk appear to be coming from nearly the same place. If your swampy still puts out fresh buds on the trunk I would be tempted to remove or jin the branch on the right and try to grow a new one a bit lower and more near the right front of the tree. My swampie puts out heaps of new growth all up the trunk every spring, but I have only had it for a couple of years. An older one might not be so obliging. Any that's my :2c:
Cheers, Frank.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey John,

Nigel Saunders always makes me smile and laugh ... I am not sure why, I think it is just the way his passion shines through. He also tries a bunch of different things.

I remembered this African-style flat top that he had worked on in the past. It is not your bald cypress but watch the video for 10 minutes and smile anyway.

https://youtu.be/8Tkf4bhaGGU?t=147

Cheers

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi There

Those scissors that he uses on the video, there is a Japanese version called sword shears and I think that they are up around the $300 mark.

If your not that flush like me and only wanted to pay a fraction of that as in around $60, then these are the duck guts and I have had mine for around 4 years now and they are still perfect.

If you are wondering about the adjustable part there is a spring tab at the hinge point and if you tighten that up then it applies more pressure to out the tips.

https://www.camelidynamics.com/product/hand-shears/
JC
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Thanks guys ,
Frank it does still push out a few buds in spring but not really were I want them. The two branches are a concern as usual looks worst in a photo. Anthony made a good point about Jining one of them. I think this is probably the best option ,balance the tree a bit better.
Mark ,cool video. I think his flat top hairstyle is pretty close to my design :lol: Cheers John.

Return to “Deciduous”