best time to air layer trees in Canberra

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Figs, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: best time to air layer trees in Canberra

Post by GreenThumb »

So I air layered 5 branches of japanese maple today, after a long weekend of shovelling 15 cubic metres of soil and veggie mix. Buggered, but the garden is shaping up nicely for summer. I'll do a couple more at the end of October (hopefully as I am cutting off 5 new trees :fc: ) to do the comparison. Technique used is Ray's technique. Took a couple of goes to get the process down right, but all have some curves early in the trunk, and a mix of small, medium and medium large branches too, so I can see which take better. Thanks again for the e-books Ray, really helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Jake,
Good on you mate, look forward to see how they go. Please keep us updated with your results. Looks like you are doing some good size branches. :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap:
I'll do a couple more at the end of October (hopefully as I am cutting off 5 new trees :fc: ) to do the comparison.
Don't cut them off to early. Just keep checking the root growth, when you see substantial roots forming that would be the time to remove.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on September 14th, 2014, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

Ray M wrote:Hi Jake,
Good on you mate, look forward to see how they go. Please keep us updated with your results. Looks like you are doing some good size branches. :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap:
I'll do a couple more at the end of October (hopefully as I am cutting off 5 new trees :fc: ) to do the comparison.
Don't cut them off to early. Just keep checking the root growth, when you see substantial roots forming that would be the time to remove.

Regards Ray
Thanks Ray. Assuming this all goes to plan, there is some substantial branching above some of the layering. I am assuming I can prune this right down at the same time I am cutting off the new trees? It seems logical to do so, there is no chance new roots will be able to support all the growth above, but would appreciate any thoughts on pruning in this context.

Cheers

J
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Good for you GreenThumb. Very exiting times. I have done a few Maple layers too and still waiting for other trees to swell their buds (move their butts) :P
Interresting I layered the same tree that I layered last year (Acer palmatum 'katsura') again. Last year with my ordinary layer technique it took 5 months before it had sufficient roots to be removed. This year I used RayM's "super" method. It will be interesting to see how long it takes this time round..... :tu:
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Jake,
Thanks Ray. Assuming this all goes to plan, there is some substantial branching above some of the layering. I am assuming I can prune this right down at the same time I am cutting off the new trees? It seems logical to do so, there is no chance new roots will be able to support all the growth above, but would appreciate any thoughts on pruning in this context.
This will be about a 3 month project. Looking at your photos, showing the layers, it appears that you have several branches above your layers. When the tree shows some good growth above the layers you could reduce the branch in several stages. Don't forget there needs to be at least one branch and foliage above the layer. (Check your Elm book on multiple layers on the same trunk.) Doing it in stages will reduce the shock on the new tree when removed.

Regards Ray
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

Ray M wrote:Hi Jake,
This will be about a 3 month project. Looking at your photos, showing the layers, it appears that you have several branches above your layers. When the tree shows some good growth above the layers you could reduce the branch in several stages. Don't forget there needs to be at least one branch and foliage above the layer. (Check your Elm book on multiple layers on the same trunk.) Doing it in stages will reduce the shock on the new tree when removed.

Regards Ray
Brilliant, thanks!

J
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

Just a quick update, I checked the air layers in progress this morning, one has some good thick roots sprouting, all the others have lots of proto root nodules as they did last month but still no feeders. As this is my first time round the air layering block, just wanted to check if I should add another application of rooting hormone to the proto roots or just give a little more seasol and be patient.

Thanks

J
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

If you can add hormone by Squirting it in without disturbing the wrap is the best way.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

GreenThumb wrote:Just a quick update, I checked the air layers in progress this morning, one has some good thick roots sprouting, all the others have lots of proto root nodules as they did last month but still no feeders. As this is my first time round the air layering block, just wanted to check if I should add another application of rooting hormone to the proto roots or just give a little more seasol and be patient.

Thanks

J
Hi Jake,
First thing, so good to hear that one of the layers is showing good roots.
Just a couple of questions before suggesting anything.
Did you use the wire under the top cut?
You mention, " all the others have lots of proto root nodules". How are you able to see these? I would have thought they would have been hidden under the sphagnum, around the top cut.
If you could take a photo that would be very helpful.

Regards Ray
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

Thanks Ray, no, I didn't do the wire unfortunately. :palm: You can see them when you open the bag, which sounds like it is definitely not a good idea from your question- no roots apparent in the sphagnum moss though, I was careful in checking them out. I'll take a photo of one tomorrow, a couple are starting to get a little dry so they need some more seasol anyway, but they are consistent with the proto roots of other pics on here. Positively there isn't any mould or fungus etc so seem to have the right balance of moisture so far.
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

Sorry for the delay, busy in the lead up to xmas. However, when I went to take some pictures, I found that the roots are popping hard and fast now on a number of them, clearly patience and faith was all that was needed (and a little seasol top up :) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

GreenThumb wrote:Sorry for the delay, busy in the lead up to xmas. However, when I went to take some pictures, I found that the roots are popping hard and fast now on a number of them, clearly patience and faith was all that was needed (and a little seasol top up :) )
Hi Jake,
That's really good news. Let them get some more roots before taking off. Looks very promising. Keep us updated as things progress. :tu: :tu: :tu2:

Regards Ray
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Love it when a plan comes together :clap:
GreenThumb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by GreenThumb »

First tree cut today, really healthy looking root system, looking promising. I'll trim the trunk down to the top leader in a couple of months once it has settled in the pot. The others are about a fortnight behind.
Last edited by GreenThumb on January 17th, 2015, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”