Chinese Quince.

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Chinese Quince.

Post by treeman »

Spring has arrived for this one Always the first to move...
P1110478.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Wow, that's got a lot more leaves on it than mine, considering it's so much warmer here... maybe the root prune I gave it held it back... will see what happens this time next year.

That's a beaut tree, Mike!
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

Great tree Mike. I'm trying to get one myself. Well done
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Mike, I love your tree, wondering if you could give a short explanation on how you prune for ramification? I've been working mine all through the warmer months, attempting to get it to branch into twos, and only about half of the cuts have done this...when I tried again, this time leaving the cut internode longer, once again not a very good percentage have been successful. This latest try I've just removed some of the lower leaves and will let the branch lignify a little more before pruning... so it's fingers crossed here.

I just can't seem to find a reliable method!
DSC_1666.JPG
DSC_1667.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by melbrackstone on April 13th, 2018, 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Spring again! This year it's been repotted into a finer mix of red clay/sand and humus (2 to 3mm) in an effort to increase the fine branching even more.
P1120406.JPG
Last edited by treeman on July 30th, 2018, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

melbrackstone wrote:Mike, I love your tree, wondering if you could give a short explanation on how you prune for ramification? I've been working mine all through the warmer months, attempting to get it to branch into twos, and only about half of the cuts have done this...when I tried again, this time leaving the cut internode longer, once again not a very good percentage have been successful. This latest try I've just removed some of the lower leaves and will let the branch lignify a little more before pruning... so it's fingers crossed here.

I just can't seem to find a reliable method!
DSC_1666.JPG
DSC_1667.JPG
You should start by feeding heavily and then defoliating the strong branches when they have about 5 or 6 leaves. After defoliating those branches, prune back to 2 buds. They should both shoot away. If you continue to feed well you might be able to defoliate again in late summer. Let the weak branches grow and catch up to the strong ones. Don't use too coarse a mix. I think most people use don't use a fine enough mix for deciduous trees. Especially when they are developed.
My tree is a cutting from a tree with large fruit and so it has fairly coarse branching. If you have a seedling tree your ramifying will be easier and finer....eventually.
Don't expect fine ramification until you have a fine root system. That takes quite a few years. Repot every year for the first 20 years particularly if you use a small pot.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks Mike. I will definitely try this out, and will repot after I've taken it to a Bonsai Boon workshop in two weeks time. Cheers.

When does yours flower? Ooopps, just saw your pic from Sept last year.
Last edited by melbrackstone on July 30th, 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Deciduous”