Zelkova project

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: Zelkova project

Post by Rory »

treeman wrote: And just what the hell is that supposed to mean? :tounge:
Ah yes that part I was being serious. I meant as its now growing in a pot, I presume it will take many years for the branches that were given heavy cuts to thicken to the point that the flow of taper on the branches looks more natural. Hope that makes sense. :beer:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

I really like the shape of this one as i can imagine a large head of twigs on the branches you have.
I don't expect it to take too long to heal those wounds as it looks like a strong grower and plenty of pot space.
Well done.
Big is better.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote:
treeman wrote: And just what the hell is that supposed to mean? :tounge:
Ah yes that part I was being serious. I meant as its now growing in a pot, I presume it will take many years for the branches that were given heavy cuts to thicken to the point that the flow of taper on the branches looks more natural. Hope that makes sense. :beer:
No need to explain Rory, I know what you meant. I was just pulling your twigs. 8-)
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

AGarcia wrote:I really like the shape of this one as i can imagine a large head of twigs on the branches you have.
I don't expect it to take too long to heal those wounds as it looks like a strong grower and plenty of pot space.
Well done.
Big is better.
Thanks AG. I don't know if bigger is better though. As long as you have enough size to give reasonable detail it's fine by me. I reckon about 8 inches is the lower limit for a ''tree'' bonsai. In fact I try to avoid really big trees generally.
Mike
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by lenlen »

Thanks for posting, it will be good to see the development of this tree over time! Very nice so far.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Here it is again. Doesn't look like much progress but there is quite a bit. This is after pruning the long branches off (some were 1.5 metres long) and some provisional selective pruning. More needs to come off but I will wait till budding in spring so I know exactly where they will be and how much harder I can go. This past season I loosely wired the new young shoots into some kind of position and when they were ''set'' the wire was removed and let go until mid summer. By that time they were a metre or so. All the leaves were removed and the above process repeated. A new central leader was selected as it was more central to the tree. That was allowed to grow without pruning for the whole year. It's now the thickest branch and you can see it as the tallest branch in the pic. It needs to be shortened a lot as do the rest. So, I am really still only up to the second ramification even though some of the third is appearing here and there. The basic bones are almost there. When the third ramification is established, progress will be quite fast from there.
A little carving of the scars was also done but more need to be done in this area as well - no rush. After that, repotting is needed desperately. Two seasons have past since the last potting session.
P1130054 - Copy.JPG
P1130074.JPG
From above..
P1130073.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on June 12th, 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Nice Mike it is really taking shape! Good work :yes:
Jake
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Brilliant progression thread Mike, thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Love this thread. It nicely shows the slow steady progress required in the early stages of building the framework before the more dramatic final stages.

I notice the graft on the main right hand branch didn't take, will you try again?

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Staggering thread. Helpful and daunting in equal measures. Initially, I could not get my head around the future ‘scale’. My simplistic skull was asking “why another fat trunk” - that was the question bouncing around my skull. For whatever reason, I am developing an open bias against fat trunks; even some with good taper —- unless they are in proportion and pleasing and I guess ... that’s the subjective bit. But here ... here, I am slowly getting it. Treeman’s ability to keep an eye on the long term is, in my mind, the hardest skill. It’s not just patience ... it’s having the skills and knowledge to guide growth such that patience is rewarded. I now get what’s happening here and it’s very cool.

Learning, learning ....

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Matt S wrote:Love this thread. It nicely shows the slow steady progress required in the early stages of building the framework before the more dramatic final stages.

I notice the graft on the main right hand branch didn't take, will you try again?

Matt.
No neither graft worked. I was not too surprised as I just basically cut a stick off and stuck it under the bark. Try again?...maybe, maybe not. I think that eventually there will be enough going on in the canopy to make it unnecessary?
Last edited by treeman on June 14th, 2019, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Update
A couple of years have passed and I have removed the last of this season's leaves.
During this last summer it was defoliated twice and hedged back twice. This is the result...
20220529_104445.jpg
20220529_104459.jpg

After the preliminary cleanup...
20220529_111747_000.jpg

After the second pruning.... The little white tag shows the new front - slightly turned anti-clockwise. I found that I could do away with the skinny branch on the lower left by doing this.
20220529_113459.jpg

Below. Thin branch covered up....
20220529_120445.jpg
After wiring (using scraps of second hand wire - still waiting for my new wire to arrive!!!!)
20220529_153514.jpg

Below, the base of the tree and the lower parts of the branches. Getting there!
20220529_153537.jpg
20220529_153408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by benbonsai »

Great read treeman, it’s looking really good so far.
Love the commitment to a long term project. Good bonsai take time to create, something I’m learning as the years go on.
Slow and steady wins the race
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

I have a Japanese magazine from the 80's somewhere that has a quite famous zelkova going through an almost identical development process. If I can find it I'll try to get some pics. It might give you a window into 20 years into the future.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Jow wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:21 am I have a Japanese magazine from the 80's somewhere that has a quite famous zelkova going through an almost identical development process. If I can find it I'll try to get some pics. It might give you a window into 20 years into the future.
Thanks Jow, that would be interesting to see but if I'm still to be working on this in 20 years I'd better start eating better and doing yoga.
Mike

Return to “Deciduous”