Zelkova project

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Zelkova project

Post by Matthew »

Mike

good changes in 2 years. you can clearly see a difference especially that first right branch a lot more mature looking. I think it will be a great broom in a few years and to me the way zelcova should be styled. Just a side note while in korea there are Japanese grey back elms ie zelcova as well as a Korean variety over 300 years old there. At one palace one tree was over 8 feet in diameter.
Last edited by Matthew on June 13th, 2017, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:"A classic broom ..just like you see in the books"
Just what everyone's styling of Zelkova should aspire too - haven't we progressed?
In 50 +years time, our future generation's "bonsai" will all look identical - made form the same recipe that's been circulating in books for years.
(I guess they can always cut back to a stump - and start again?)

Which forum are the "trees" styled in....you know ...just like you see in nature?
Kcar,

I happen to agree with you. More strongly than you could know! Please try to make it to the convention here next year for more...
The natural growth habit of zelkova is very similar to the classic Japanese bonsai styling of the same species. See below.
natzel.JPG
That is the kind of smooth transition from branch to branch which is usually aimed for and the reason I said that this tree will never be like that simply because it does no grow that way even though I did try to force it to for years.

My tree might end up looking more like this....at best! (the top part...more disordered)
natzel2.JPG
Or more likely like this below only more symmetrical. Either way I would be satisfied. I'll probably never see it close to ''finished''.
natural bonsai.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Matthew wrote:Mike

good changes in 2 years. you can clearly see a difference especially that first right branch a lot more mature looking. I think it will be a great broom in a few years and to me the way zelcova should be styled. Just a side note while in korea there are Japanese grey back elms ie zelcova as well as a Korean variety over 300 years old there. At one palace one tree was over 8 feet in diameter.
Thanks Matt. I'm glad you noticed that. The next change should be very profound compared to the last two years.....I hope.

8 feet!...that's just insane.
Mike
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Treeman,
Thanks for replying with your photo visuals - as you can probably guess, I prefer the second photo the most.
Your recent reply's show your both very excellent in both technical & horticultural aspects of bonsai. I joined this site after reading your post "Theres not much activity happening here" and I now know you will be up for an open minded discussion.
So here goes......
At this point in my bonsai journey, I am starting to try not making bonsai. It is hard, as there is a struggle to unlearn.
In your years of practising, have you ever questioned / changed your styling techniques ? Do you make a conscious decision when working on new raw material that it will be styled as "naturalistic" or "traditional Japanese". As a nation, I know Australia is still considered new to this art form. But in your opinion, why are we (myself partially included) still anxiously & most times disappointingly trying to make Japanese looking trees - is it just to self-validate that "Yes - I am doing a real Bonsai"?

I also don't believe you would expect me to think, that you would ever have the unfortunate event of your tree being "finished" ;)
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

KC&R,

That is an interesting question worthy of discussion, but in the interests of keeping this thread on topic I'll point you towards these discussions which cover exactly what you're asking:

viewtopic.php?t=21723#p219902

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=21363&start=0

You've correctly identified Treeman as the person with an opinion on this!

Matt.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Matt = WOW thanks for this direction. I could only read about the prices of over expensive bonsai on Ebay & Gumtree for so long...

Mr Treeman - Now I see ...You are a F'n Guru. :clap:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote::wave: Treeman,
Thanks for replying with your photo visuals - as you can probably guess, I prefer the second photo the most.
Your recent reply's show your both very excellent in both technical & horticultural aspects of bonsai. I joined this site after reading your post "Theres not much activity happening here" and I now know you will be up for an open minded discussion.
So here goes......
At this point in my bonsai journey, I am starting to try not making bonsai. It is hard, as there is a struggle to unlearn.
In your years of practising, have you ever questioned / changed your styling techniques ? Do you make a conscious decision when working on new raw material that it will be styled as "naturalistic" or "traditional Japanese". As a nation, I know Australia is still considered new to this art form. But in your opinion, why are we (myself partially included) still anxiously & most times disappointingly trying to make Japanese looking trees - is it just to self-validate that "Yes - I am doing a real Bonsai"?

I also don't believe you would expect me to think, that you would ever have the unfortunate event of your tree being "finished" ;)
Without getting into another deep discussion about this, just a few points.
Yes I do now consciously think about branch placement more now and I make an effort to steer clear of traditional views. It's not something that ''just happens'' overnight. If you have a traditionally styled tree, it's very difficult to change it and it's probably often better to stick to it. We have no collected coniferous material in this country as they do in the US and EU so we can only start from scratch. I see countless demos where they have taken really interesting wild trees and reduced them to tamed boring things which to me personally, is a missed opportunity. It is not easy to throw away tradition and take a fresh look at things. We are all pre-programed to see and do things in a certain way. It takes much more thought and projection into the future to change. Most people would be left unsatisfied if they didn't see a ''finished'' shape at the end of a demo and that also puts pressure on the demonstrator.
There are many things we can consider when working on a tree for the first time. Many of these are not considered at the moment. I'm in the process of putting together some of these ideas and will present them at the convention in Melbourne in 2018.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Wow this thread really did go off on a tangent! :palm:
Anyway, back to the tree.
Here it is after 3 months of growth. This tree was fed with half a cup of osmocote in spring and I have just buried 20 organic cakes in the soil about a week ago.
P1110745 - Copy.JPG

After removing a lot off branches and rubbish growing in all sorts of places. Cutting back stubs that didn't shoot etc. I just kept well placed branches regardless of their thickness.
P1110747.JPG

After a bit of wire to direct them. I have left them long on purpose as I want as much choice as possible next time I cut. The plan is to let them grow for the rest of the season to bulk them up and then remove 2/3 if possible in autumn/winter
It's going to be a long road...........
P1110749.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

What a wonderful progression!

I'm disappointed I won't be at the convention to watch your presentation.
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by BB Brian »

Makes me want to put a few of my trees in the ground! :tu: thanks for sharing mate!
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm

Post by lenlen »

Thanks for sharing, it will be great to see the further progression of this tree!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Update on this monster. Not much has developed since the summer defoliation and re-growth but look at the central leader compared to before.

P1120353 - Copy.JPG
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

What does the F stand for.... Firewood? :lol: ....ahem. Sorry. As its you I thought I'd get away with that one.

Wow and I thought I was starting long term projects. :shock:
I can see it looking nice in a long, long time.

In the mean time I hope that it gets exposed to mutant radiation, and takes over your demonstration years in the future... (that's you in the blue pants).
Homer.jpg
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote:What does the F stand for.... Firewood? :lol: ....ahem. Sorry. As its you I thought I'd get away with that one.

Wow and I thought I was starting long term projects. :shock:
I can see it looking nice in a long, long time.

In the mean time I hope that it gets exposed to mutant radiation, and takes over your demonstration years in the future... (that's you in the blue pants).
Homer.jpg

Ha ha, yes very droll

''I can see it looking nice in a long, long time''. And just what the hell is that supposed to mean? :tounge:
Mike
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

He's right Mike, no good. Let me take it off your hands :tu:

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”