The christmas tree effect.... a weeping willow

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

The christmas tree effect.... a weeping willow

Post by bodhidharma »

This is the story of a weeping willow(salix) and what it has to look like to achieve a weeping effect. Its top outgrows its trunk and needs to be attended to by grafting on cuttings to create a more substantial trunk. It needs its own gravity fed irrigation system during summer to keep it alive and well. It also needs constant feeding to keep it healthy. Stuff that i have learned while wondering why i so rarely see a willow bonsai. Why is it we Bonsai people are always wanting the one thing that eludes us constantly, a killer bonsai that know one else has. We will wait and see this one in another ten years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on September 1st, 2009, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: The christmas tree effect

Post by anttal63 »

very nice work bodhi. the plastasine looks alot easier than fishing sinkers. like i say where there is a will to learn it there is a way. this will be a rippa in time and this thread goes a long way to helping all the people out there that desire the willow bonsai. you must take us through the grafting process at some time. thanks for sharing. :D
Regards Antonio:
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by Jordy »

i'm currently attempting to grow such a bonsai in fact, being the insane beginner i am :D

I have a cutting from the HUGE willow in my backyard sitting in a bucket of water (Apparently its that easy to grow roots for a willow, who knew!)

looking forward to ground planting it, although not sure how we'll it'll go, i think i might've cut it too late.

ah well! we'll see!
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Looking through some very old bonsai books (1956) I see a few weeping willows..
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Asus101 wrote:Looking through some very old bonsai books (1956) I see a few weeping willows..

Well share. :( Show us the pics, ive never seen one either.
Can the willow be sat in a tray of water once potted,wouldnt that make sence.Along the river banks their roots below ground are in water. Our farm once had a willow outside the fence and after it died we were going to sink a bore in its place.The engineer said there was no water below ground were it sat. He was baffled that it even lasted the 15 years it was there.We also have tortured willows growing every where,yet they survived the droughts. I recon if watered twice daily over the hottest months and sat in a tray of water theyll survive as long as their in semi shade. But depending on location that is.
i will be experimenting this any way.
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
tr3nt29
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: eucalypt
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: The christmas tree effect.... a weeping willow

Post by tr3nt29 »

The thing about growing Willow bonsai that you need to know is they grow roots so well that they will become pot bound around mid summer and need to be repotted, which is a dangerous time to undergo such a process. I would recommend repotting into a larger pot at this time of year; then a heavy root prune and back into the original pot in the winter.

Hope this helps
Trent
If you wish to bake an apple pie from scratch, first you must invent the universe.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

This is one I have had for about 19 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

the problem i have encountered with sitting them in a pot or tray of water. is the roots grow so fast into the water they move away from the trunk and when you have to cut them of the tree reacts by losing a limb or two. With a gravity fed bucket (20 litre is good) and a dripper system it waters the tree evenly over the day. It will drink that much in a day. It achieves the result of keeping the finer feeder roots closer to the main trunk and no stressed tree. with this method i have grown this tree in five years. the tree is 900mm tall. I also feed once a week heavily.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Nice work Bodhi and Peter!

There's an article about Willow Bonsai in issue 113 of Bonsai Focus, and the author (Simon Temblett) utilizes many of the styling and care techniques mentioned here. The results are quite striking!

Thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Fly.
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

i tried several times to keep a weeping willow, never suceeded. I ended up getting (well finding one being thrown out) and acacia cognata. whilst not a willow, easier to keep alive (Till dad killed it, but that is another story)
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Bajiru
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Bajiru »

EDIT: I used the power of search, found: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1298 whereupon all my questions were answered.

Apologies for useless post.

MODS: Please delete.

Cheers - Bajiru.
Last edited by Bajiru on September 6th, 2009, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baka gaijin. Nihonophile. Bonsai neophyte. \(^_^)/
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Opening a can of worms here. Sick and tired of working with this tree, which was more of a dream than a reality, i layered the top off (still have the base which is huge) and have been developing it instead of the taller idea. A lot of the lower branching had to go but It has barked up beautifully and i think i now have a basis of a tree. The new top, to get some taper, has come along well, although the scar from the cutoff heals slowly . I have wanted to bin the project many times but the tree that won the Noelanders is stunning so persist i will. Sticking with the modelling clay as it seems to work but some wire needs to be used.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I like it.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I've been inspired. I just went out and took about 20 large cuttings off the tree out the front.

Here's a nice one........
ww.JPG
Mike
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

treeman wrote:I've been inspired. I just went out and took about 20 large cuttings off the tree out the front.

Here's a nice one........
Damn...if i knew it was that easy i would have done the same :palm:

Return to “Deciduous”