Arakawa Air Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Arakawa Air Layer

Post by Robsterios »

Hi there.. I managed to get hold of a nice little Acer Palmatum Arakawa (aka - Rough Bark Maple)..Originally, I was looking for a young tree but came across this bonsai that had been grafted to stock Palmatum roots..The idea was always to layer off a branch or so but I decided to give the whole trunk a shot...My 1st air layer btw..!! After much research, I hope I've done everything right..I guess it's the wait and see game now...Also took some cuttings and they're in a little hothouse...you never know, some may strike..
20150927_101612red.jpg
20150927_101622red.jpg
20150927_101942red.jpg
20150927_102940red.jpg
20150927_103803red.jpg
20150927_111055red.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Re: Arakawa Air Layer

Post by teejay »

Hey, I know this reply is a year late, but how did this go? I've got an Arakawa in the ground and nothing I've done has struck. It's frustrated the hell out of me as I love the tree. 4 air layers, no success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Post by Robsterios »

Gday Teejay..just noticed this post..
I was meaning to update this post as yes, my layer grew a decent amount of roots..strangely only on one side, but one of the main roots was almost pencil thick and from here it filled the bag...I seperated back in August and the tree is growing strongly on its own roots now..
Strange how you havnt managed to get some roots going...mine was bagged for almost a year though..I'll stick up some photos shortly..
Last edited by Robsterios on September 25th, 2016, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

Ok, that's great. Maybe I'll have another go. I admit that I only left it on for a few months because I'd previously never had to wait that long. I'll take cuttings this year also.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.

Return to “Deciduous”