Crepe myrtle - progress

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Crepe myrtle - progress

Post by delisea »

Here is a crepe myrtle that I worked on last summer. It was dug from my back yard, a sucker from a large tree. I got some advice from Danny Coffee of treethepeople fame (look him up). He said to constantly prune back over the growing season. So I cut it back to two buds every 4-6 weeks and defoliated regularly.
cropped crapemyrtle.jpg
crepe myrtle after a year.jpg
back spring 2016.jpg
front spring 2016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Crepe myrtle - progress

Post by Watto »

Wow, thank you, very interesting post. I will give this a try this season and report back, thanks again.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Good result for a short amount of time. I have a couple in the ground which will stay there for a few years yet. Good to know how quickly you can get results with this technique.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Interesting.
Mine is in a largish grow pot at the moment and I'd be keen to get some action a bit sooner so will look into this.
Thanks for sharing.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by delisea »

Hey thanks for the interest guys. A couple of things to note. The first shoots that come up tend to have long internodes, which give straight branches. In retrospect I might have cut them back hard earlier. As you get more ramification the internode length shortens. The second thing is that these have opposite branching pattern, but sometimes when you cut back to two buds only one shoots. This is actually a good thing as the resultant branch starts to develop naturalistic curves.

I have found a grove of crepe myrtles in a railway cutting. I cut some back this winter so I am hoping I might have a bunch of these going this summer.
Cheers,
Symon
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

Can these be grown through cuttings. I have some one my property but might be hard work digging it out.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

bonborn wrote: Can these be grown through cuttings. I have some one my property but might be hard work digging it out.
I'm not far off doing some and from what I've read easily and with a large diameter. It was this thread from Beano that convinced me :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=16441&hilit=crepe+cutting

Cheers,
Nigel
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Post by Firecat »

Love it.
My neighbor has a magnificent one in the front yard..20' tall and ramified like you would not believe!
He keeps telling me to take cuttings or have a go at an air lay as he looks over the fence at all my trees and knows how I have obtained a few via cuttings and air layering .
He hates the mess when the flowers drop and jokes about chainsawing it of at the ground and filling it with round up.
Maybe soon as the more I see 'crepes' the more I like them
Steve.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

bonborn wrote:Can these be grown through cuttings. I have some one my property but might be hard work digging it out.
There is an old story, that if you throw a crepe myrtle stick high into the air, it will come down with roots on it.

They are very easy to propagate from cuttings and or layers. only a few weeks to get viable roots most of the time :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Post by Firecat »

kcpoole wrote:
bonborn wrote:Can these be grown through cuttings. I have some one my property but might be hard work digging it out.
There is an old story, that if you throw a crepe myrtle stick high into the air, it will come down with roots on it.

They are very easy to propagate from cuttings and or layers. only a few weeks to get viable roots most of the time :yes:

Ken
Now I will take my neighbors offer up on pruning his yard tree..Christmas decorations in Spring with all the layers maybe.
Now Q.. when :?:
Steve.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

kcpoole wrote:

Ken
Thanks Ken. Any mention of how high you throw it to get the roots :lost: :lol:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Firecat I'd take them once they've lost their leaves, stick them into pots of propagating medium, and leave them under the benches til Spring. I did that this past winter, and have lots of new crepe myrtles to play with. :)
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by delisea »

I made some mistakes with this one last year. First here it is with autumn colour.
crepe 2017 autumn leaves.jpg
My plan was to let it grow to 3-4 pairs of leaves, then cut back to 1 pair throughout the whole summer. This would mean no flowers but rapid ramification - a tip from Danny Coffee. However halfway through summer I noticed that the scars from the trunk prune weren't healing. This was because I hadn't used cut paste. Lesson - always use cut paste if you want a scar to heal.
I scraped the edges of the bark and applied cut paste with almost immediate effect. Below you can see the bark starting to grow over after a few weeks of cut paste.
reparing hole.jpg
The next mistake I made was to stop pruning to create more biomass to help the scars heal. This meant that a few branches began to dominate and thicken, which in the winter I had to cut off anyway. Lesson - stick to your plan.
cm 2017 after repot and prune.jpg
This summer I am considering some root grafts to help the surface roots along.
Cheers,
Symon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Delisea,
Terrific branch ramification you've acquired there for the amount of time training. Thanks for sharing your progress.
I have a few these in progress at the moment from old nursery stock trees. I found out that they did not appreciate coiled wire around some of the more established branches when I was trying to change some minor angles. Nothing too serious in the bending, but every branch with wire on suffered, died, & then reshot sucker growth from the base.

It looks like all your branching on this tree has been trained by clip and grow from the start, but have you ever had to add (coiled) wire at all to help with setting any of branch positions?
cheers KC&R
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by delisea »

Hey KC&R, wire and CMs don't mix in my opinion. Yes, I have used a bit of wire to try and get some curves on few of the longer branches, but not many. I think it needs to go on early and not for long. I am hoping the from here on it will be all done with scissors.

Pls post yours when you feel you have something to show.
Cheers,
Symon

Return to “Deciduous”