Apricot Bonsai

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Apricot Bonsai

Post by pureheart »

Hello I just found out that 3 pips of apricot, I stuck in the ground last year, have germinated and they are now seedlings of 20 cm high... now the question is ... should I bonsai them? Does apricot suits bonsai style? Would it look good? ( probably in 10 years) or am I wasting my time trying??? Thank uuuuu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Re: Apricot Bonsai

Post by Firecat »

pureheart wrote:Hello I just found out that 3 pips of apricot, I stuck in the ground last year, have germinated and they are now seedlings of 20 cm high... now the question is ... should I bonsai them? Does apricot suits bonsai style? Would it look good? ( probably in 10 years) or am I wasting my time trying??? Thank uuuuu

'GO FOR IT'..Problem I see is disease resistance in the roots as graft stock is just that..'resistant'.
Plenty of road side tossed kernels sprout into healthy treas..Apples,pears and peaches etc.
At 20cm that's vigorous growth so I'd say the roots are strong..Get em going and lets see what you have.
Steve.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Apricot should look ok as bonsai. I can't think of any reason it will not work apart from disease.
Apricots are particularly susceptible to gummosis diseases. It is recommended that garden and orchard apricots should be pruned in the growing season when it is drier. Also use clean tools to reduce chances of infecting trees. I would do the same with bonsai - prune mostly in summer, use clean tools and seal cuts.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Damian Bee »

I have a couple of Apricot grown from seed, one is around 10 years old now pulled out of a pot and grown on with an eye to make it a bonsai.

It's looking pretty good, many years to go yet but no sign of disease and responds well to repotting.

It has bloomed for the second year running.
I think it's worth a shot ;)
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Damian Bee wrote:I have a couple of Apricot grown from seed, one is around 10 years old now pulled out of a pot and grown on with an eye to make it a bonsai.

It's looking pretty good, many years to go yet but no sign of disease and responds well to repotting.

It has bloomed for the second year running.
I think it's worth a shot ;)
Hey Damian do you have a photo to share? Thank uuuu

pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

shibui wrote:Apricot should look ok as bonsai. I can't think of any reason it will not work apart from disease.
Apricots are particularly susceptible to gummosis diseases. It is recommended that garden and orchard apricots should be pruned in the growing season when it is drier. Also use clean tools to reduce chances of infecting trees. I would do the same with bonsai - prune mostly in summer, use clean tools and seal cuts.
Thank you Shibui I just realised the peach I have planted in the garden has got gummosis!!! I'll try and fix it any suggestions??

Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Damian Bee »

I will take some photos in the coming days;)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

the peach I have planted in the garden has got gummosis!!! I'll try and fix it any suggestions??
As far as I'm aware gummosis is cannot be cured. I have heard some claim to stop it by removing the affected parts before it gets a chance to move to the rest of the tree but that will obviously depend where it has started and how far it has already spread. I think sometimes a tree will naturally recover but prevention is by far the best.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”