Acer Palmarum Aka shigitatsu sawa

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Kev0312
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Acer Palmarum Aka shigitatsu sawa

Post by Kev0312 »

Hi guys,

Just purchase this tree for a fair price as I like the trunk on it, but then realised the shape is not right.
Please see pic for reference, can I get some opinions on what I can do with this tree.
Currently I think the canopy is way way too big for the trunk and it look out of shape.

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Acer Palmarum Aka shigitatsu sawa

Post by Watto »

A bit of a trim and some TLC and it will be good in no time.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Can you take some more pictures from just above pot level? Front, back and sides? That way we can get a better idea of the current shape.

Matt.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I have to disagree with Watto in this instance. The fact of the matter is that this material is very poor and should have been passed by. As is, it will never become a good bonsai and there is nothing to be gained by saying otherwise. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can use the well developed trunk as a good foundation to form a good tree out of it with a solid plan and some dedication. If all goes to plan you could end up with something special. To make that omelette you are going to have to break a few eggs. If you have a clear plan and know exactly - well more or less - what to expect each year, you will feel good about taking it on. If you don't you can quickly become disillusioned with it.
Mike
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

If you decide on Mike's advice, you may well want to air layer some of the top branches first.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Treeman.

I know you don't beat around the bush in your critique and are one of the sites straightest shooters but....
If your going to be that way (which is fine) to avoid putting recipients and viewers off side I think you need to be a bit more constructive.
Elaborate on your plan / views so we can all benefit.

FWIW, I don't think it's fantastic material either but some have different expectations regarding tree's and the calibre of product they hope to achieve.
Not all of us expect show worthy trees / results.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Boics
Treeman.

I know you don't beat around the bush in your critique and are one of the sites straightest shooters but....
If your going to be that way (which is fine) to avoid putting recipients and viewers off side I think you need to be a bit more constructive.

I'm happy too and I have many times before. I was just waiting to see if Kev is open to the idea. It is his tree and his decision. If he is I will be happy to give detailed instructions for as long as it takes. It is important however to lay down the hard facts right from the start and take it from there. In other words ''this is the ground you're standing on at this moment and it's from here that you start to build''.
FWIW, I don't think it's fantastic material either but some have different expectations regarding tree's and the calibre of product they hope to achieve.
[/quote]

That's just a question of time.
Last edited by treeman on March 20th, 2017, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Am I correct - are there red leaves on the left of the tree and green leaves on the right? As I understand it the red leaves are those of the variety you want. Photos against a neutral background would help.

If the leaves on the right have reverted to green, then that whole side needs to go. That would resolve, in a drastic way, your design problems... I can see a convincing tree with the trunk and the left hand branch both leaning further over the left, but it will take some time. These special-leafed maples are not common, and well worth the extra effort to get something that works over time. If you are going for drastic work, it might need a grow pot (larger) for a few years. If you are feeling a bit out of your depth, a club might help with the slow development over time.

Best of luck, I would certainly like to see it come good.

Gavin
Kev0312
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kev0312 »

treeman wrote:
Boics
Treeman.

I'm happy too and I have many times before. I was just waiting to see if Kev is open to the idea. It is his tree and his decision. If he is I will be happy to give detailed instructions for as long as it takes. It is important however to lay down the hard facts right from the start and take it from there. In other words ''this is the ground you're standing on at this moment and it's from here that you start to build''.
That's just a question of time.[/quote]

Thank you in advance Mike.

I like a person who call it as is, yes please help me reshape this maple.
Any idea would be appreciated.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Yep. We need to wait until Autumn. When most leaves have fallen. Then we can bare root it, have a look at the nebari and decide where to cut and what angle to plant it. In the meantime, you should decide if you are planting in a box or in the ground. The ground is fine (recommended) for the first 2 years but needs to be well drained and prepared. If you are using a box, or other container, you need to find or make one.
Mike
Kev0312
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kev0312 »

treeman wrote:Yep. We need to wait until Autumn. When most leaves have fallen. Then we can bare root it, have a look at the nebari and decide where to cut and what angle to plant it. In the meantime, you should decide if you are planting in a box or in the ground. The ground is fine (recommended) for the first 2 years but needs to be well drained and prepared. If you are using a box, or other container, you need to find or make one.
Cheers mate.

When is the best time to bear root a maple?

I'm think to keep it in a pot for now as it's my best tree with the best trunk I have.
I do have other maple which I am planning to put in a BIG training pit to thicken up the trunk. :reading:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Did anyone else note GavinG's contribution?
Am I correct - are there red leaves on the left of the tree and green leaves on the right? As I understand it the red leaves are those of the variety you want. Photos against a neutral background would help.
I am also concerned that this tree is actually a combination of the grafted variety and rootstock. If some of these branches are from the rootstock it will impact on what you can design from it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kev0312
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kev0312 »

shibui wrote:Did anyone else note GavinG's contribution?
I am also concerned that this tree is actually a combination of the grafted variety and rootstock. If some of these branches are from the rootstock it will impact on what you can design from it.
One side of the tree is red in colour because I defoliate that side from sun damage a few weeks ago from the 40+ days here in Syd.

It all the new growth on that side. It is actually one tree not a combination of grafted variety.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for the clarification.

Gavin
Kev0312
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kev0312 »

Time got away from me again.
I've forgot about reporting it during Autumn, it is now winter.

Think I'll wait for early summer to Air lay the top of the tree and start fresh with just the trunk.

This is where I will attempt the air lay process.

Last edited by Kev0312 on June 12th, 2017, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deciduous”