Trident Maple Twin Trunk

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MountainFrost
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 2

Trident Maple Twin Trunk

Post by MountainFrost »

I have here this Trident Maple
IMG_6369.jpg
I would love to turn it into something like this
2002-03-DSCN2825v.jpg
I'm just wondering how I would go about preforming a trunk bend on the smaller trunk, so that it is more curved. All advice is greatly appreciated :tu:
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Trident Maple Twin Trunk

Post by shibui »

You have very little chance of bending the thicker part of that smaller trunk. Maples have very hard wood and won't bend much after around 5mm thick.
The usual way to change the shape of maples is pruning. Cut back to a smaller branch or bud heading in the right direction and train the new shoot to the correct shape before it hardens. Allow it to grow freely to heal the cut and taper the new part into the thicker old part.

Another option if you just want to move the entire trunk a bit is to cut part way through with a saw where you want to bend. The thick trunk should now bend a little bit where the cut is. Make a V shaped cut to remove enough wood to bend further. Wire to hold it in place and leave it to heal up. Drawback with this is that you can only bend where you have cut.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Trident Maple Twin Trunk

Post by Max »

The second pic looks like they trunk grafted, you could try that for your first branch perhaps

Return to “Deciduous”