Apricots Bonsai growing technique

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Apricots Bonsai growing technique

Post by pureheart »

Hello Bonsai friends :wave:

I need some help in understanding what should I be doing to achieve a good size trunk for some apricots bonsai I'm trying to grow.
Apologies but I can't take pictures at the moment (at work and thinking about my apricots! :palm: )

This is what I'm thinking: before I start styling a tree I want to be happy with the trunk size so I was planning to work on the roots now then pot it in a colander and then put it in a grow bed for the next 1 or 2 years and hopefully achieve a good size trunk.

The question is, Am I styling the tree now? Am I cutting it at all or am I allowing it to grow freely until right trunk thickness and then chop it and grow from there new branches?

What I'm thinking is if I allow it to grow freely there may be no branch at all in the lower part of the trunk and I may just end up with a long thick stick which is very unattractive and I don't think good material? I mean I'm looking at a formal or informal style for this trees and not really thinking at this stage about the trunk style, or should I?

I guess what I'm asking are what are the correct steps I should take? What is the right process?

Please help clarify this concept for me...

Thank you so much

Taddeo
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Apricots Bonsai growing technique

Post by treeman »

Taddeo,

Prune them fairly low to a bud and plant on a slight angle with the bud facing up. That will give you your first bend. Then plant in the ground (if possible) and don't touch them again till this time next year. That will give you thickness. Don't shape any branches at all, you will be cutting off everything at the next root prune. Keep repeating until you are satisfied with the trunk size, then pot up and let the branches develop. This is the standard way of developing all deciduous material. If you want more movement, you can wire the trunk first before you do all the other stuff above. Always plant on an angle and let the nebari tell you the best angle to choose. Prune the roots accordingly. Apricots any thicker than about matchstick cannot be wired.
Last edited by treeman on August 1st, 2017, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Apricots Bonsai growing technique

Post by pureheart »

Thanks Mike makes perfect sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”