Dug up a Chinese Elm. How much trunk can I leave?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Dug up a Chinese Elm. How much trunk can I leave?

Post by sheepdawg »

A few weeks ago, I dug up a bed-grown Chinese Elm. The root ball is about 20cm in diameter in a top-down view, and pretty shallow. My trunk is about 1.5m tall with several branches coming off it. I left it this tall with the intention of making several air-layers. But now I'm thinking that perhaps this is too much trunk compared to roots because of energy distribution for leafing out. So, should I reduce the trunk? Or can I leave it as big as it is? Thanks
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Dug up a Chinese Elm. How much trunk can I leave?

Post by treeman »

sheepdawg wrote:A few weeks ago, I dug up a bed-grown Chinese Elm. The root ball is about 20cm in diameter in a top-down view, and pretty shallow. My trunk is about 1.5m tall with several branches coming off it. I left it this tall with the intention of making several air-layers. But now I'm thinking that perhaps this is too much trunk compared to roots because of energy distribution for leafing out. So, should I reduce the trunk? Or can I leave it as big as it is? Thanks
Depends what you want to do with it. You can leave as much or as little as you like.
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Dug up a Chinese Elm. How much trunk can I leave?

Post by shibui »

Just on your description, without actually seeing the tree I would say you should be able to leave it as is if you want to make the air layers. I'm still amazed at how little root you actually need to keep a tree alive.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”