Pinching shoots at the base of an existing branch

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Pinching shoots at the base of an existing branch

Post by pureheart »

It is probably a silly question... but would you please confirm that I should always be pinching new buds at the base of an existing branch?

This is for a maple but it is a general question... I know the rule of having maximum 2 branches dividing at any point but what about at the base of the branch ( where it is connected to the main trunk ) can I have 2 there or only one is allowed in that case and therefore I should be removing all new shots there?

Thanks hopefully I am making some sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Pinching shoots at the base of an existing branch

Post by shibui »

Definitely not a silly question. The answer - probably or - it depends.

When you have 2 branches growing from the same spot the trunk tends to thicken more there than below or above which gives reverse taper and that can cause visual problems when viewing the tree - a very good reason for NOT having multiple branches at any points. I think that is particularly important in Japanese maples which love to grow many shoots and quickly develop reverse taper. With some other species it is not such a problem.
It also looks better when you can see the base of a branch. Older trees tend to be bare in those areas and so that's what our minds expect to see - single forks = old, lots of shoots = young.

If the branch you have is poor and cannot be rectified by wiring or pruning a new shoot growing from the base is very valuable. Allow it to grow to replace the poor branch at some stage. Usually with the larger branch nearby the new one will grow slower and have shorter internodes and better character and movement but watch carefully so you can remove the older branch well before reverse taper becomes an issue.

In species that don't bud well sometimes the only option to making a foliage pad is to use a second shoot nearby. I'm thinking junipers and possibly pines as candidates for foliage that does not always come from the 'approved' place.

So in general, remove extra shoots from the base of branches but if you need them to replace or enhance existing branching use them with discretion.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I agree with shibui on this. 99 times out of 100 you would remove them but sometimes it is in just the right place and worth keeping. It can add to a natural look to the tree but it only should happen by accident not design - if that makes sense.
I have 2 or three trees with 2 primary branches coming from the same spot and I wouldn't touch those.
Mike
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

That's great info and makes perfect thanks for clearing this concept for me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pines
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Cumberland / National

Post by barefoot »

A reason for NOT pinching shoots at the base of an existing branch.
On my maple minis I quite often will have the bigger heavier branch, prune hard and let the new back growth come out. I minimise all growing ability on the bigger heavier branch and let the smaller branch grow. This causes the small branch to grow abate slowly with better internodes. Then after three / five years I cut off bigger heavier branch and then use the smaller branch as the internodes are much smaller allowing for better back shooting and or ramification ability . This extra ramification will then thicken the small branch quicker than any bigger branch could grow and have better taper on the branch. Don't forget that this is on a small tree under 30 cm.

Return to “Deciduous”