Advice needed ash tree"

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Advice needed ash tree"

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

Would it be to late to take a few cuttings? I gave rooting hormone and a mini green house to aid in the process....

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using Tapatalk
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Advice needed ash tree

Post by BB Brian »

Jamie.bonsai wrote:Would it be to late to take a few cuttings? I gave rooting hormone and a mini green house to aid in the process....

Im thinking Spring / Summer would be best season for cuttings. i've just pot a few of my Trident Maple and Zelkova cuttings hoping they take,
but due to my first season, i'm in the same boat as you and will wait and see what works and what doesnt

I have no experience with Desert Ash and if they are better to propogate from cutting, seed or airlayer. will have to hear from one of the more experienced enthusiast on here.

all the best with your project, i've seen some solid trunks with amazing bark on desert ash!

Regards
B
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

banong wrote:
Jamie.bonsai wrote:Would it be to late to take a few cuttings? I gave rooting hormone and a mini green house to aid in the process....

Im thinking Spring / Summer would be best season for cuttings. i've just pot a few of my Trident Maple and Zelkova cuttings hoping they take,
but due to my first season, i'm in the same boat as you and will wait and see what works and what doesnt

I have no experience with Desert Ash and if they are better to propogate from cutting, seed or airlayer. will have to hear from one of the more experienced enthusiast on here.

all the best with your project, i've seen some solid trunks with amazing bark on desert ash!

Regards
B
Cheers mate, thinking I will just cut, dip and plant what I cut off and hope for the best

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Advice needed ash tree

Post by shibui »

I've never tried ash from cuttings. They self seed so much I just dig up whatever sized seedling I need from the side of the road or someone's garden.
Your approach is good though. If in doubt, try and see what happens. You've only lost a little time and effort and will have something to tell us all after.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

shibui wrote:I've never tried ash from cuttings. They self seed so much I just dig up whatever sized seedling I need from the side of the road or someone's garden.
Your approach is good though. If in doubt, try and see what happens You've only lost a little time and effort and will have something to tell us all after.
Yeah I will post the results and the pics on a separate thread

Jamie.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jamie.bonsai »

Cuttings didn't work at all... all died due to getting a job and too busy to tend to them but the tree itself has come a long way.

A few weeks back it back budded on the trunk only 2 days after big chop....

Has been hanging out in a shaded but lit position, and i had intended to slip pot it and had a gentle poke around to see wjat the roots were like and they looked great! Had a nice ring of large roots and loads of feeders due to the previous owner wrapping the tap root tight against a rock ... i took a gamble and chopped the tap root and due to all the feeders it had it has just kept on throwing out new leaves on the branches and im quite happy with its progress...

Here are some pics of it wired up after a session with it this arvo and a virt with the way im headedImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”