Maple Propagation

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Darren S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society

Maple Propagation

Post by Darren S »

A few months ago I decided to have a go at propagating some Trident and Japanese Maples from seed. This was my first attempt. I collected Trident Maple seeds from the Japanese gardens and the Japanese Maple seeds were from my neighbors tree.
Out of the 70-80 seeds of each type I planted only one type germinated, and they look like neither the Trident or the Japanese Maple. I am sure these seedlings have come from the neighbors Japanese Maple but the leaves on that tree are a lot more delicate than these.
Despite all this I'm happy with my first attempt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Maple Propagation

Post by RogerW »

They all look like Japanese maples. Some have interesting leaf shapes, but you wont really know until the plants are more mature.

Roger
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with Roger. These are Japanese maple seedlings.
They may have different leaf shape from the mother because many of our garden plants have been extensively hybridised so when you grow seeds you get many combinations of genes from both parents as well as some throwbacks to grandparents and further ancestors. Growing from seed is how we get new varieties for gardens.
I'm not sure why your other seeds did not germinate. Usually fresh maple seed is very viable.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Darren S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society

Post by Darren S »

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what happened with the Tridents, none of them germinated. The box was next to the Japanese Maples but absolutely nothing....anyway I'm still happy with this lot, I think there is about 60 or so.
Cheers
Darren

Return to “Deciduous”