Chinese Elm Chop advice

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jordanny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Chinese Elm Chop advice

Post by Jordanny »

Hi, 1st post here.

Just looking for some advice I am about to purchase an old Chinese elm that was planted in small pot (Not a bonsai pot). The roots have grown through the bottom of the pot for several years and it will need to be dug out. The tree is about 4 meters tall. Trunk is a bit larger in diameter then a soda can.

I would like to attempt a trunk chop procedure. However I would not like to throw away the rest of the tree. I'd like to do some air grafting first.

Question is, if I relocate the tree and plant it at my house. I then do some air layering and chop the trunk after I have completed some air layering. Would that be getting too late in the season to chop the trunk? Would I have to wait until next year to chop?

Research on chopping Chinese Elms have not been very good suggesting a time frame of anywhere between the start of spring, to when the new buds pop, to mid summer.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Chinese Elm Chop advice

Post by treeman »

We don't chop bonsai, we cut... :mrgreen: But yes layer it first and cut next August
Mike
Jordanny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Jordanny »

Ah ha, Ok. Thanks.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

When you dig this pot up you may be able to get some pieces of root. Chinese elm grow very well from root cuttings and you can make some great small trees very quickly with that method.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”