English Elms

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

English Elms

Post by Robsterios »

I was at the BSV show today...always impressive this one..
I was particularly impressed with this big old English Elm. So full of foliage and health, massive thing!

Question I have is with regards to how to keep vigor in this species. I've had several, and only one half decent one at the moment but find they drop branches and refuses to back bud anything
like Chinese or Sergiu elms. I've been advised to repot often which possibly I don't do often enough.
Perhaps a brighter spot, mine gets good light but dappled shade in the afternoon. Maybe I don't feed enough..!
Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers, Rob.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: English Elms

Post by bodhidharma »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9062
Robsterios wrote: Question I have is with regards to how to keep vigor in this species. I've had several, and only one half decent one at the moment but find they drop branches and refuses to back bud anything
like Chinese or Sergiu elms. I've been advised to repot often which possibly I don't do often enough.
Perhaps a brighter spot, mine gets good light but dappled shade in the afternoon. Maybe I don't feed enough..!
Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers, Rob.
Hi Rob, the above link will be useful for your questions.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “Deciduous”