Care Of English Elms Info

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Care Of English Elms Info

Post by Meagi »

Hi everyone one thought I would post this for EE lovers

I did not write it but thought it’s pretty spot on from my experience.

The English Elm can be planted from the cutting and it grows very fast for the first 2-3 years. The tree needs a free draining balanced-organic soil and needs to be placed in full sun during summers and protected from frost during winters

The bonsai tree is a water-sucker and should be watered daily during the growth season. It needs heavy watering, maybe twice a day when the weather is hot, and light watering during winters.

It is advisable to not use fast-acting fertilizers to maintain the small leaves. The dwarf English Elm Bonsai should be fertilized weekly during first month after the bud bursts, and then every month thereafter

This bonsai responds well to pruning. It should be pruned during spring season, back to 2-3 leaves.

The tree should be repotted every year in early spring for the first 10 years, and thereafter as required.

The bark of the English Elm is thin and prolonged wiring must be avoided.

The Bonsai is not prone to the Dutch Elm disease, but it must be protected from Aphids, vine weevil, caterpillars, and spider mites.
Last edited by Meagi on October 19th, 2017, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Re: Care Of English Elms Info

Post by CraigM »

Thanks Meagi, useful summary.

Why frost protection, do you find them more sensitive to others? Never thought of deciduous trees being sensitive, granted finer growth could perhaps die off if extreme cold.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Re: Care Of English Elms Info

Post by Meagi »

Or it’s an Forgien site, frost never been an issue where I’m from , more the heat in country Vic .

Return to “Deciduous”